Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

June 4, 2019
By zifei SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
zifei SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Disgusting” by Sasha Lynn Roberts is an interesting piece. Roberts writes about her neighborhood, Canarsie, in Brooklyn. At first, she calls the place disgusting. She details the litter, the awful smells, and the people. However, as she goes on, Roberts begins to discuss the memories shes had in her neighborhood. From familiar stores to first kisses, Roberts brings a whole new meaning to disgusting. She stares at the new constructions around her neighborhood and wonders if when she comes back, it will all change. Or, perhaps, her neighborhood will remain disgusting, as it should be.

As Brooklyn-der, I could relate to this piece. I loved how Roberts called Manhattan a wizarding world because even though Brooklyn and Manhattan are a bridge away, it is so different. It just shows how powerful words can be that you can use them to create a relatable feeling. Living in New York City, the heart of it all is the prospect of change. Friends, family, and neighborhoods change, and with that change, so does your outlook. I think “Disgusting” is a great piece to remind readers of how a neighborhood can shape you. So, thank you, Sasha, for your outlook on your neighborhood.