Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

By upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the point of view piece, “Separating the Artist From the Art,” Isabel Nelson delves into the horrifying crimes of two popular musicians and why their acts need to be acknowledged instead of their music. Nelson writes thoroughly and persuasively informing the reader of all sides and relevant information before giving her own stance. She has a clear understanding of the topic and allows the reader to form their own opinions throughout the article without bombarding them with her own feelings. Her response to such horrifying events is incredibly mature.

Nelson writes “many people’s predicament: ‘I feel like the big question is - can we separate people from their misdeeds? In all honesty, I don’t know Everything Michael Jackson did was despicable and disgusting, but I admit when ‘Rock With You’ comes on the radio, I’ll keep it on.’” I sometimes find it difficult to refuse a certain musician because I am attached to their music as well, but I agree with the author in that their music represents who them and their atrocities.