Dear Immigration Officer | Teen Ink

Dear Immigration Officer

By yamilej02 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
yamilej02 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"Be your own kind of beautiful"

In "Dear Immigration Officer," by Kimberly Hernandez I wholeheartedly agree with her standpoint because she not only discusses the pain of innocent children and family members due to their loved one Manuela not being able to receive her residency. I feel devastated at the fact that innocent people are being called "illegal" when in fact everyone in America is illegal, everyone has migrated to America for a new life. Manuela is being punished for a crime that helped her son live in a new world by migrating to America for a new opportunity for her son to in a safe environment. The letters that were sent by Manuela's children Kimberly, Miguel, and Maria show their strength and motivation to help her get her residency and Maria in her letter says that she has recieved unconditonal love and support from Manuela she says "Without her, I would not be able to do what I need to take care of myself and my family"(Kimberly). Overall, I feel that Manuela should receive her residency she did not commit a crime she purpously came to America to give her children a new life, filled with love, safe communites, and especially education and for that she doesn't deserve to be punished.