Where the Field Ends | Teen Ink

Where the Field Ends

March 5, 2019
By kdales SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
kdales SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In Anaya C.’s article, “Where the Field Ends,” she uses extreme imagery to describe her running through a huge sunflower field. However, she story gave me mixed emotions of bright and happy to dark and gloomy. This is mostly because when you see a sunflower you think sun and happiness, however; if you see a broken sunflower you feel sad for that flower. Those emotions are very similar in Anaya’s story. Her story starts out with her running rapidly through the field with joy and not a care in the world. She tells the readers that she is joyful by saying, “You begin to run through the flowers blissfully.” As she continues trotting through the field, she looks back at the path she made. The path consisted with broken and horribly bent sunflowers. She describes the plants as a grotesque angle: “Its stem bent at a grotesque angle.” I feel this story is very relatable in real life. Sometimes when you do things to make you happy, you can also cause a path of destruction. I understand that everyone should and has the right to be happy, but where do we draw the line if they are causing havoc to other people?