Feedback On Aid To Success | Teen Ink

Feedback On Aid To Success

February 6, 2019
By YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Aid to Success” by MaClay Patten is a rollercoaster of an essay. It’s the type of roller coaster you line up to go on and on again, because it is that good and that compelling. Patten delves into her traumatic experience as a victim of incestuous rape while connecting it to the pain of Band-Aids. She had built up walls like Band-Aids to protect her against the betrayal of loved ones, but Patten soon realized the side effects it came with. She became distrustful and indecisive, and “Superheroes” by The Script made her realize that. Patten mentions the experience of being trapped in a Port-a-Potty and the fear she felt then. When she gets out, she is determined to change for the better, decisiveness and whatnot. Thus, Patten’s healing begins when she rips off her emotional Band-Aid.

Though I could never compare to MaClay Patten’s trauma as a rape victim, I do know the fear that comes with it. An American is sexually assaulted every 98 seconds. That is insanely terrifying, considering how easy it is for society to just mumble quick disapproval and move onto the next big trend, like Airpods or what celebrities wear. Being catcalled many times, I'm familiar with the flood of disgust and discomfort that floods your body, coating you in a layer of unity that every girl has experienced. Patten goes through something so traumatic, yet she pushes through and makes it known that she won’t just be a statistic that cries herself to sleep at night, but a strong woman that made it through the most heartbreaking situations. And I learn from her that I can be just as strong, even when my experiences pale compared to hers. It’s time for all of us to rip off our Band-Aids.