Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

By upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the poem “let this love be a lesson” by Jada Seaton, the author writes of the hopeless affection she feels for another person and the torturous pain she experiences when it is not returned to her. The way she describes this pain is beautiful and earnest stating clearly that she would rather endure the pain, just to be around her love. She feels so deeply about this person that she goes through unimaginable pain to keep them in her life even though it is eating her up. In the poem she writes “The doctor tell me i have two weeks/ until my heart stops from a love/ that is not returned in full.” She knows that this will consume her, because she is sick with this bottomless endearment.

This poem is a beautiful reflection of so many people’s feelings. Unrequited love is such a tender topic that spreads through everyone at some point. In my own life I have felt that the person I care about can never feel the same way about me and the way she describes this pain as thorns in her throat is an exquisite way to put these emotions into words. The poem is relatable and raw, and it is impossible not to feel sympathy for the person who wrote it.