Body Language | Teen Ink

Body Language

By Makaylah_Foreman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Makaylah_Foreman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

The article titled Body Language by Emma Seybert, is a beautifully written first-hand story of a young woman going through the familiar struggle of body image and bullying. I love the message and the relatable this passage spills out to the reader. So many kids and teens deal with bullying or identity issues, regardless of race and gender. Bullying is progressing so much that little kids at the age of eight are experiencing bullying. It’s just painful to see or even read about someone who's been exposed to bullying. Especially when a person has experienced it firsthand. "Never apologize for who you are." That is the most moving thing and most truthful thing a person can say to someone facing a body or identity crisis, because most kids and teens get picked on or extremely bullied over something they can't control. Crooked teeth, glasses, and freckles, are things that children are attacked for; and they can't even help that they have these things that should be taken as beautiful. "All it took was one word.." That is what kids today don't seem to understand; you don’t know what a person is going through, and if you make fun of that person for being slightly overweight, and the next day you find out that she starvers herself. Or the boy you made fun of for being gay is abused by his father for the same reason. All it takes is one word for a person's life to become a living nightmare. Most kids don't understand the severity of bullying and the number of kids and teens that have killed themselves because of bullying. I applaud Emma Seybert for her courage to tell her story to the world, she is an inspiration to us all.