Feedback for Open Letter to Golf | Teen Ink

Feedback for Open Letter to Golf MAG

November 4, 2018
By LawHouts BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
LawHouts BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Open Letter to Golf” by “Joe,” is an example of ignorance. This piece speaks about how much golf means to this Joe, and how (though he is teased about it) passionate he is about the sport. This author doesn’t understand that the reason he is teased is not only because of how inordinately slow-paced golf is, but what you are saying when you say you play golf often. You are saying you are rich. You have the money to spend 30 dollars an hour just to play a sport, and mentioning that to other people is not going to sound like your passion – but an attempt to show off how rich you are without making it seem obvious.

I have also participated in activities that may be expensive – such as video-gaming and buying newly released hardcover books. If someone teases me about it, I understand that it is probably not due to their actual hatred of my activity, but rather due to the fact that I am indirectly bragging about how much money it costs. This is not my intention, but one has to be more careful when their activity is commonly associated with wealth. “Joe” even states that one of his favorite parts of golf is “lounging in a cart.” This makes it even more clear that Joe’s passion is not only for the sport, but for the affluent activities associated with it. While “Joe” makes a valiant effort to explain his passion for golf and the stigma associated with it, his failure to understand the deeper motives behind his own passion and his peers’ reasons for teasing simply make this piece sound naive.