For William | Teen Ink

For William MAG

By neena_nguyen BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
neena_nguyen BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"...15-year-old boy dead and another shot in the leg" is a quote from Hannah's memoir, "For William" that still leaves a cold lingering chill down my spine as I read it. Personally, I have been in multiple lockdowns from a guy being chased near my school to even a stranger in the front office. However, never have I ever experienced a school shooting. "School shooting", even those words petrify me yet leave me with unanswered questions when I see them as a title on a recent article. Who had the gun? Why did he have a gun? Did anyone lose their life because of some reckless individual? I have always wondered why people had to let out their emotions through violence and still do to this day. Hannah's story on her experience still leaves mark on me. Her life could have been ended within a blink of an eye yet she was so lucky to survive such a tragedy. We all know senior year of high school is a bittersweet year where everyone wants to leave yet stay. It is supposed to consist of fun and memorable moments with your friends as you cherish your last moments in high school. However, Hannah was sitting in a classroom, terrified of what could happen next as she, "...stared at the floor for a long time..." and heard whispers of people claiming that, "...they shot the wrong kid." Because of her bravery for sharing this story, I would like to thank Hannah for her intriguing memoir.