Cause of Death: Photoshop | Teen Ink

Cause of Death: Photoshop

June 8, 2018
By mehreenkamal BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
mehreenkamal BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Photoshop has long been controversial. Numerous celebrities have spoken out against their bodies being digitally manipulated for magazine and social media campaigns. Yet, it still persists in the media. No legislation prohibits photoshopping images and celebrities can only so much so as speak out against it. Photoshop has dangerous effects on the health of women. It is simplistic to suggest that seeing retouched images of women in media causes eating disorders in its consumers (mainly young girls and women). However, it promotes an unrealistic body image which leads to body image issues in women, the onset of possibly developing an eating disorder. It is a part of the problem, a part which can be controlled. The fashion industry claims that it promotes diversity, but in every one of their magazine spreads or social media posts; every ‘plus-sized’ model is slimmed down, every dark girl’s skin is lightened or her natural hair erased from the image, every older model’s wrinkles are smoothed out. There is not enough representation for women who don’t fit the size 0-2 dimensions when ironically, the average American woman is a size 16, reveals a study in the International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education. Women recognize the lack of diversity and the disregard for flaws and imperfections in the media, and that contributes to feelings of insecurity. They feel the need to distort their natural body into the ‘ideal’ figure, which is unnatural and doesn’t exist; it is just the work of a computer software and the figment of a skinny and perfection obsessed industry. Kids as young as five years old are concerned about their body image, many of whom end up being fixated over their body image issues and develop more serious mental and physical health issues, such as eating disorders and body dysmorphia as they grow older. 10 million American women suffer from eating disorders, most aged between 14-25. This age range is exposed to social media and tends to engage in social comparison the most, which is the expected demographic as they are the most engaged in social media and therefore compare themselves to everything they see on social media, affecting their eating habits. In 2018, it is necessary that we recognize the adverse effects of Photoshop and push for change in laws regarding Photoshop, be it banning it completely or including warning labels.


The author's comments:

I want to inform young girls that the images of women they see in magazines and on social media aren't actual representations of what those women look like in real life. I also want to inform the responsible adults that Photoshop has adverse effects on the health of young girls and it is necessary to promote a realistic standard of beauty. It's 2018, we must do better, we must push for change regarding digital manipulation of images. It needs to be either banned completely or warning labels should be included.