Nicotine | Teen Ink

Nicotine

By ThisIsPuGGy SILVER, Yokohama, Other
ThisIsPuGGy SILVER, Yokohama, Other

I’m sick of the smell of the cigarette when I always walk to Yokohama Station (Japan). Everyday, when I go walking, I see at least thirty people smoking a day. I’m seriously annoyed by this. I see people smoke every day buying those 400 yen (4 dollar) pack of cigarettes. Do the smokers know that it's bad for their health? Do they know that it will make them die? If they do, why aren’t they quitting smoking?

Nicotine is one of the world’s addictive drug in the world. Every year, it causes 6 million people to die. The population of the people dying goes up every year. It's stupid, people smoking cigarettes is like commit suicide. 

Smokers all around the world do it because of stress, fear, depression and even more reasons. Apparently in CNN news, smoking is so addictive, some people just can’t stop smoking even when they know that it's bad for you. Even Barack Obama, who quitted smoking in 2009, still finds it hard to quit smoking.

Ok, we know that smoking is strong enough to drag the US president, but if so, why aren’t they making an ILLEGAL drug?

USA tried to make nicotine illegal, but it backfired, because the companies that made it were too large and powerful, and also because people didn’t like it. Think about it though, if it was illegal, it will cause a riot of people protesting about making nicotine/smoking legal. Arthur Caplan, a bioethicist at New York University School of Medicine's Division of Medical Ethics said “Once you have a substance out there like tobacco in wide use it's hard to turn around and make it illegal. You can certainly tax it, you can certainly stigmatize it, and educate against its use.  But ban it? In reality, it's not going to happen.”

Why isn’t the world preventing all these deaths to happen? Can’t they do something like ban it? Make it so that you can only smoke one pack a week? Why isn’t anyone in the world preventing it by walking into a nicotine factory and destroy it?

Overall, we know that nicotine is taking the lives of a shocking amount of the world population’s lives. We need to stop this from happening. By making people around stop smoking, it would help improve the environment, make everyone more healthy than right now. From now on, if you see a person smoking, tell him to stop and ask him if he wants an early death. Tell him all about smoking. If everyone keep on telling each other, the world be a better place to live.

Nicotine