I Am NOT Broken | Teen Ink

I Am NOT Broken

August 26, 2015
By Anonymous

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 6 months ago. I act as it is no big deal because it only explains why I showed the symptoms and allows me to recognize other symptoms that I didn’t know I even had. But when I tell people they act as if I had one week to live. But then this changes. They look at me not as a normal person but like I was broken, like I needed to be fixed, like I was completely different from them. I am not though. I am like them, for the most part. The only difference is my brain. Not the part that makes me a human. Not the part that makes me a person. If anything is broken it is the filter that was put over all of our minds. It allows me to think in a different way than others, but I wouldn’t say that I was broken. This perhaps is the reason why I see ghosts, read tarot cards, and my dreams show the future. Not because I am broken, But because I am free. None of us are broken. We might have to take medicine, but we are not broken. Next time someone tells you they have a mental disorder m don’t treat them differently, instead wonder what their broken filter can allow them to do.