Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa | Teen Ink

Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa

Around the world today, as many as ten million teens and adults are struggling to cope with eating disorders. These teens and adults have succumbed to the stereotype that bony rib cages and a malnourished body is “perfect”. The consequences of trying to be skinny have led to either bulimia or anorexia nervosa, two serious eating disorders that cause dramatic weight loss and or body related problems. Eating disorders are usually caused by the feeling of being judged all the time and being physically or verbally abused. One might ask themselves, ‘Why would someone punish themselves in this way?” Well, the answer is that by forceful purging and starving the bulimic or anorexic is trying to feel a since that they are in control of some part of their lives. Anorexia and bulimia are both deadly diseases that have ruined many lives and will continue un-till we find a way to stop this self-abusing act.

Anorexia nervosa causes the act of starving one-self and exercising excessively. Many who suffer from anorexia are as much as fifteen percent below their average weight and suffer from brittle nails, loss of hair, significant weight loss, preoccupation with food and dental problems. there are many emotional problems that follow such as depression, self-esteem issues, memory loss and alcohol or drug abuse. Bulimia nervosa causes one to binge eat ( excessive amounts of food at one time) and to later purge or use laxatives. Many of the emotional and physical problems of bulimia are the same as anorexia. Many ask the question, “ why do we all want to be thin?” The truth is that being thin is a sign of being in control and successful and being overweight resembles being out of control and lazy. The media ( magazines, celebrities, TV. etc.) also contribute largely to the influences that teens get from too thin models and celebrities who suffer from eating disorders and visit rehab facilities constantly.

When someone is suspected of suffering from an eating disorder, the best thing to do is to confront them and first take them to a doctor to confirm that the dramatic weight loss is not a different health related problem. The next step would be to enter into a special rehab that focuses on eating disorders. The most important thing to remember as a parent is to verbally or physically abuse your child and to never judge them. Kids look up to their parents as who they want to be when they get older and if they hear them say “ I’m fat” or “I’m so ugly” ,then they will think that of themselves and it can cause complications later on in life.

We sometimes can become so involved with pleasing others like parents, teachers, friends etc. that we tend to forget who we truly are and are to caught up in becoming what others want us to become. The most important thing is to stay true to yourselves and never let others bring you down. Life is too short to be complicated with eating disorders that can drastically change a persons life.

on Sep. 3 2010 at 1:21 pm
cupcake420 BRONZE, Hdj, Texas

THe best thing you can do for the person you love is to let them go .. and if they come back then you know i was ment to be :)

i wonder why im the first one to comment on this and i can realate to this and i dont mean in a bad way but i think this is alsoi the medias fault im mean if your skinney people dont like you but if your over weight then your called fat its just to much for the world to grasp and we need to grip this fast for it sprials down quicker thatn we think and if we can this under control we might be able to cause a chain a reaction and who knows what we could just accoplish by this i mean like in some part of africa woman eat for almost 6 months to gain weight and marry but that is there triditon that is what they call beautiful sooo i wonder what its going to takt to get this in peoples head and make them belive that you are beautiful or something as much as we dont want to belive any thing but are self well that sall  i have to say