Why is Mental Health bad | Teen Ink

Why is Mental Health bad

March 1, 2023
By CaidenCraig26 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
CaidenCraig26 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

No one ever thinks about how bad mental health problems really are. You never know who has it, the person next to you could have it but you really don’t know who has it. Your family members could but you just never know. We all have had that kid who picks on everyone and the person he picks on most likely has somewhat of a bad mental health. The person he or she picks on them probably makes it worse for them.

From personal experience and people I know they are afraid of getting help because they are afraid of getting made fun of or don’t trust people. They can have cuts on themselves and people will see and most people wouldn’t care. If you see someone struggling, help them make them feel comfortable talking to them and make them feel needed because if you don’t then it makes it worse and they will probably shut you out of their life. Later on you will see 4 peoples thoughts about mental health and how they help people if they did.

Depression hurts a lot and it makes you question yourself and having depression leads to hurting yourself. If you have depression you should get help. Most people are scared to get help though. So my advice is find someone you can sit down and talk to because it might help you to hurt yourself then but later on it sucks. Let’s talk about cutting. If you cut it might help for that moment but later on it won’t. You will see the scars the cuts left and it will remind you why you did it and it will make it worse. I learned from personal experience.

Suicide is a bad thing. People commit suicide because they think they are alone and hate life. Life can be good, you just have to make it good and find people who loves you. Losing your life is not worth it. Someone can look happy but deep down they are not and you never know. For example I had a family friend who took his life after he was talking to my grandpa that night and how he was happy. You never know they can say they are happy but deep down they are not. 

 

(This Chart was from Suicide Prevention Resource Center)

Eating disorders are where people don’t eat and it is so bad. People over think and then they don’t eat and they hurt their body because of it. Another reason why eating disorders happen is because people get hurt and they lose their appetite. You should definitely get help if you have an eating disorder. It’s not healthy for you and it will damage you in the long run. I have friends who had it and to help you have to ease them into eating, start small and build it up. It will take time but if you have patience with them it would help . So talk to them and ease them into eating food again and when it gets fixed still check up on them to make sure it doesn’t come back.

PTSD is where something happens and they have bad memories of it. PTSD can really hurt someone. For example people who have gone to war have PTSD from the war and it hurts them. If someone has PTSD just comfort them and always check up on them and don’t let them get hurt.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) usually involves a person feeling anxiety or dread, which can interfere with daily life. From personal experience This can ruin your day and it changes the outcome. People with GAD may anticipate disaster and may be overly concerned about money, health, family, work, or other issues. Sometimes just the thought of getting through the day produces anxiety. People with GAD don’t know how to stop the worry cycle and feel it is beyond their control, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants.

Bipolar Disorder, formerly called manic depression, is a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings that include emotional highs (mania or hypomania) and lows (depression). When you become depressed, you may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in most activities. When your mood shifts to mania or hypomania, you may feel euphoric, full of energy or unusually irritable. These mood swings can affect sleep, energy, activity, judgment, behavior and the ability to think clearly.

Body dysmorphic disorder is a mental health condition in which you can't stop thinking about one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance, a flaw that appears minor or can't be seen by others. When you have body dysmorphic disorder, you intensely focus on your appearance and body image, repeatedly checking the mirror, grooming or seeking reassurance, sometimes for many hours each day. Your perceived flaw and the repetitive behaviors cause you significant distress and impact your ability to function in your daily life.

What makes everything worse is overthinking. When you overthink it makes your mental health worse trust me. I know this because I do it all the     time. It makes it worse. Then it leads to major trust issues and it just sucks. If you are scared to talk to people, find something that makes you happy. For example, I like lifting, listening to music, fishing and hunting. So find something that makes you happy or something that distracts your mind. 

What also made Mental health worse was the Covid years. It stops kids from going to school. It puts stress on adults and kids. In my opinion Covid made it worse. Covid made kids stay home and couldn’t do anything. It made adults not have jobs. What also makes Mental health bad is technology. Stuff people see on the Internet can affect them. Also cyberbullying affects a child’s life. Cyber bullying is a new way of bullying. It’s where people bully each other on the internet. A child can post something or comment something and they get bullied for it. It’s really bad because everyone is on the internet. It’s sad because our life is based on the internet.


I was interviewing a teacher about mental health. He thinks mental health is the most important health of the human body. He was also saying that since being a teacher and seeing it he thinks school affects a child’s mental health, and he thinks other kids affect other kid’s mental health. While I interviewing him i ask him what is his view on suicide and he said he doesn’t want it to be name suicide, he wants it to be someone took their life. He thinks suicide is someones last opition. HE was also saying that cutting is just for a cry to help. I even asked him about adult mental health and I asked if a teacher could have it worse then a child, he said yes but teachers can’t have off days and can’t really show it. I also asked him if he had any type of mental health and he has anxiety disorder and depression. 

I was interviewing another teacher and their views were similar but there was some difference. She thinks suicide is a confusion and she thinks they don’t try and get the help they need. She had a family member who tried and commit suicide and she asked her family member what was going through her mind and she said “I wasn’t thinking and once my mind was set I couldn’t stop it.”

I was talking to my mom about what she thinks about mental health and she said it’s a really important thing in our lives. She thinks people are afraid to get help and it makes it worse. She thinks suicide is a bad thing, She thinks theres a better way to deal with it instead of killing yourself.


              Where i got my  Info:

 GAD: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/generalized-anxiety-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20360803 

Suicidal: I got this info from family members and friends who attempted and knew someone that did.

Depression: I got this from personal and family members who have it

Eating disorder:   nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/eating-disorders

PTSD: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20355967#:~:text=Post%2Dtraumatic%20stress%20disorder%20(PTSD)%20is%20a%20mental%20health,uncontrollable%20thoughts%20about%20the%20event.

Bipolar: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bipolar-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20355955

Body dysmorphic disorder: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353938


The author's comments:

I interviewed people and I got some of this info from articles. I also got some of this from experience.