Why PNC Park should be at 100% capacity | Teen Ink

Why PNC Park should be at 100% capacity

By Isaac1197 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Isaac1197 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pnc park should be allowed to be open to 100% capacity for baseball games, this is because in Pennsylvania indoor dining is allowed to be at 75% capacity while Pnc park is only allowed to be at 50% maximum capacity.  This does not make any sense because something that is indoor with people not wearing masks is easier to spread coronavirus as opposed to something that is outdoors and people are wearing their masks.  C.D.C. researchers found that “Coronavirus infections and death rates rose in U.S. counties permitting in-person dining or not requiring masks”(CDC 1).  This is showing that restaurants being opened for in-person dining and not requiring masks can spread the coronavirus easier than places that do require masks.  If indoor dining is at 75% capacity, and it is easier to spread coronavirus through dining as opposed to outdoor activities, this is showing that Pnc park should be allowed to have 100% capacity at their events.  

Another reason that Pnc park should be fully opened is to support the restaurants within the stadium.  Restaurants are hurting due to the pandemic so allowing more fans to be in attendance at Pnc Park would help out the restaurants tremendously.  We need to open eventually and the sooner we do that, the less restaurants will close and we can return back to normal sooner and easier.

Globe life park was opened to 100% capacity in Arlington, Texas for the Texas Rangers home opener.  Keep in mind that while at the stadium masks were not required and at Pnc park they are required.  “There is a 13% difference in cases between Pennsylvania and Texas.  A difference of 370,000 cases”(New York Times).   On March 2, 2021, Texas Governor Greg Abott issued an executive order stating, “There are no COVID-19-related operating limits for any business or other establishment, and individuals are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings over the nose and mouth wherever it is not feasible to maintain six feet of social distancing from another person not in the same household, but no person may be required by any jurisdiction to wear or to mandate the wearing of a face covering”(Abbot 1).

This means that in Globe Life Park in Texas, masks were optional, and social distancing was voluntary.  This would not be the case at Pnc park because Pennsylvania is still shut down and the coronavirus precautions are still in effect.  Pnc park should be allowed to be able to be open to 100% capacity for spectators at baseball games.  This is because the Pittsburgh Pirates would make more money, the restaurants inside the stadium would make more money, and people would be able to get outside and go do something.

Works Cited

“Considerations for Restaurants and Bars” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/business-employers/bars-restaurants.html. 

“Tracking Coronavirus in Texas: Latest Map and Case Count” New York Times, New York Times, nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/texas-covid-cases.html

“Opening the State of Texas” Texas Health and Human Services, Texas Health and Human Services, Texas Health and Human Services, dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/opentexas.aspx

I really want PNC park to be open to 100% capacity!