Does Social Media Have An Impact On Student's Mental Health? | Teen Ink

Does Social Media Have An Impact On Student's Mental Health?

By camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California
camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California

"It is not what the world holds for it is what you bring to it"-Anne

Does Social Media Have An Impact On Student’s Mental Health

Teens mental health is being affected by social media .Kira Barrett states that the more time teens spend on social media,the lonelier and more anxious they become.For example students who spend more time using smartphones and other electronic devices are less satisfied with their lives which causes depression.When someone develops depression they withdraw from peers.They isolate themselves from the world and that makes people lack of real life communication.

Teens base their love of themselves on social media likes. They believe that they need validation from others to feel wanted and enough. Some people know that social media is bad for them but they still use it because they have a fear of missing out on things.In this generation if you aren’t on the “trend” you aren’t “cool”. Teens today believe that social media is their euphoria.They believe that if they aren’t liked on the internet they aren’t good enough in person.

Some people think that social media is the greatest thing that has happened.Social media is a great place to interact and express themselves.It’s a place to spread news and awareness.I will admit that social media can be a great place but people claim that it spreads “awareness” like bullying.But that’s the place that bullying happens most.People can be hurtful and cruel on social media.Once you post something on the internet its always there and everyone can see it.The internet is where the most cyberbullying,body shaming,and hate happens.You can’t really escape from it because everyone is on social media or it can follow you to school and even at home.But mean people aren’t the only scary thing about the internet.They’re people that catfish others and lead to a place to kidnap them or do something even more harmful.Now in today's society young girls are targets of human trafficking,kidnapping, and sexual assaults.Ohio Attorney General’s Human Trafficking Commission reaveals how trafficers quickly target and connect with vulnerable children on the internet through social media. Dr. Celia Williamson states,”Social Media is increasingly being exploited to contact,recruit and sell children for sex.

But at the end of the day, social media can be a very fun and exciting place.I think that we should just be more careful of what we say and post on the internet.Plus there isn’t no harm in being nice to other people.As a person who has suffered from mental illnesses I know that it isn’t a fun thing to go through and it’s really hard to feel or get better.So all we can do is to try and be safe and nice as possible.

Treat People with kindness.