Never Too Old to Go To Sleep, Teenagers! | Teen Ink

Never Too Old to Go To Sleep, Teenagers!

Not having a regular sleep schedule could lead teenagers into sleep deprive in the United States.

Students in the 9th through 12th grade, themselves, are the number one reason why they aren’t getting enough sleep. One reason why students 9th through 12th grade are not getting enough sleep is that, a lot of students that take naps for 2 to 5 hours go to sleep past midnight and do not have enough energy for school. Another reason why students are not getting enough sleep is because of procrastinating homework. This issue is very common for students who are on social media, video games, tv for multiple hours, above average a month, or going out with friends.

American Academy Of Pediatrics states that, “adolescents who don’t get enough sleep often suffer physical and mental health problems, an increased risk of automobile accidents and a decline in academic performance.” But they also states that “getting enough sleep each night can be hard for teens whose natural sleep cycles make it difficult for them to fall asleep before 11 p.m. – and who face a first-period class at 7:30 a.m. or earlier the next day.” I have had poor academic performance and poor performances in sports, but when I have gotten plenty of sleep I have had great performances.In 2017 Center For Disease and Prevention Survey revealed that 43 percent of high-school students are playing computer or video games for more than 3 hours average. According to a recent  article by [Center disease and prevention Survey,”but the blue light emitted by LEDs, TVs, tablets and smartphones suppresses the body’s secretion of melatonin, the hormone that signals it’s time to sleep. Overdosing on screens at night effectively tells the brain it’s still daytime, delaying the body’s cues to sleep even further.” American Academy of Sleep Medicine is an article that mentions,”Very few. In fact only about 8 percent of American teenagers get the sleep they need, according to a recent study in the Journal of Adolescent Health. Almost 73 percent of high school students across the country don't get the recommended amount of nightly shuteye, according to a report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some parents are the second reason why some students aren't getting enough sleep. Parents tend to let their children do almost anything they want once they are in high-school. Parents could take part in controlling their children’s sleep rhythm, but they can take steps to help them on a regular sleep schedule. Playing Video games and spending time on social media for multiple  hours is a big one, because of sitting in front a bright blue screen which wears out your eyes. I have watched tv for hours and couldn't fall asleep, and the brightness from my phone made my eyes hard for me to open them. Parents do not have to take away video games, but they can limit the time being spent on video games and social media. Also, some parents increase their child's curfew past 10pm which decreases the amount of sleep a student gets before school. If students should have the total of 7-8 hours of sleep then their curfew should be shortened. According to American Academy Of Pediatrics parents should, “Create and help your teenager stick to a regular routine. A consistent bedtime and wake time promotes better sleep.” They also stated that,”Once you establish a regular schedule, make sure that all electronic devices—laptops, televisions, video games and cell phones—are turned off at least a half-hour before bedtime.” Dr. Mary Carskadon, a professor of psychiatry at Brown University and director of chronobiology and sleep research at Bradley Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island also states that, “There’s pretty good evidence that parental help with limit-setting around bedtimes and study times and media is helpful.”

Teens 9th through 12th grade can get more sleep if they use their time wisely and limit social media, video games and time spent with friends.

I chose to talk about this article because most studens in the world suffer with sleep deprive from poor practices