Trump, Pruitt and the Waiting Wasps’ Nest | Teen Ink

Trump, Pruitt and the Waiting Wasps’ Nest

March 12, 2018
By LoveYourself1 BRONZE, Berkeley, California
LoveYourself1 BRONZE, Berkeley, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Once I was camping with some friends and we were messing around near a wasps’ nest. I tried to warn my friends. One listened, but the other didn’t. Because he didn’t listen to me, he walked right into the nest and got 120 wasp stings. His face was puffy and he screamed and cried—I think he may have cussed. I felt so bad that I hadn’t warned him sooner. It left me feel like I wanted to help people from getting hurt. Climate change is like a waiting wasps’ nest and Donald Trump and Scott Pruitt are stomping around it, shaking it, yelling at it and throwing it at people who can’t protect themselves. We need someone who can throw it right back at them.

We should be listening to the Greenpeace activists—the people who make sure that people don’t dump their trash into rivers, lakes, and ponds—because they say climate change is important. We must stop the climate change deniers! Greenpeace activists put up a giant banner that said RESIST in back of the White House because of Trump and his cabinet, which includes the head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Scott Pruitt. When I first saw a picture of the Resist banner, I felt encouraged because they were telling us to be brave in the face of Trump’s greed. They also put it up for Trump to see that we are going to resist. UPI reported that the seven Greenpeace protesters who hung the banner were arrested and charged with second-degree burglary, unlawful entry, and destruction of property. I think the protesters were brave because they knew that they were going to be arrested. I think that that is not the last we will see of this kind of bravery by people who want to make change.

Scott Pruitt should not be listened to! As the district attorney for Oklahoma, he sued the government for years in his attempts to kill environmental regulations. He is trying to shut down the environmental law enforcers so he can get his cash and the energy companies can continue dumping toxic waste into rivers. His most common target has been the Clean Power Plan, the Obama administration’s set of Clean Air Act rules meant to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from power plants. WE NEED AIR TO SURVIVE! If you take out the Clean Air Act, you are basically attacking Americans’ ability to breathe. SO DON’T ATTACK THE CAA, PRUITT!

Trump and Pruitt are going to be the death of us if we don’t act now by listening to Greenpeace, going to marches, and making change. The EPA and the CAA stand for the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act. What part of that do Trump and Pruitt not understand? We only get one planet earth so we should take care of it. If we want to survive, we must RESIST!


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece last year, but, since I wrote it, Trump and Pruitt have conintued their attack on our environment. They must be stopped!