The Hum of Bees is the Voice of a Garden | Teen Ink

The Hum of Bees is the Voice of a Garden

By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

"The Hum of Bees is the Voice of a Garden" -Elizabeth Lawrence

Every year, humans rely on bees to pollinate fruits, vegetables, and flowers. They contribute to a vast majority of the cycle our plants go through, and are vital to the Earth's eco-system. Without bees, well, humans wouldn't be. 

What's the Buzz?

Commercial pesticides are generally safe for your buzzing friends, and usually are kept under strict codes and laws. However, backyard poisons are remarkably worse for them, and lead to the death of millions of bees each year. Most people aren't aware of this fact, or even think they're doing the bees a service: after all, won't keeping out other bugs help the critters in the long run? Unfortunately they're mistaken. Bees land on plants and flowers, and those laden with pesticides often pollute them and even entire hives. If humans cut down on their bug killing juices, and relied more on natural alternatives, the bees would be in a much better state. Currently, they're seeing a rapid drop in population, which is bad for everyone involved.

How Can I Help?

To help bees, you can drop the can of repellent for starters. There are plenty of cheap and easy to use alternatives out there, found on common social media outlets like pinterest or facebook. If you find a meddlesome bug eating your azaleas or crawling on your squash, check out a trusted gardening site for info about how to keep them off. You'd be surprised how vital some creatures are to plant health. For example, it's an old wivestale that peonies need the help of ants to bloom. They're attracted to the sugary substance produced by buds that are almost ready to open, and are thus prone to crawl on them. Thye usually leave once the sugar is gone, so they're not anything to worry about. If someone tries to kill the ants that gather on their peonies, later bees might not react well to the pesticide and end up dying. There's a lot of risk involved with adding killing agents to an ecosystem, which noit a lot of people think about. 

Besides outing the sprays, you can make bee-friendly gardens. Add lots of blue flowers in particular, because bees see them the best. Certain varieties produce more pollen and nectar as well, so flowers such as Lavender, Crocus, Poppy, Lilac, Sunflower, and Marigolds are all great choices. However, there are trees, shrubs, and more that will definitely give your fluffy buddies a great garden. For an extended foot-up, consider creating a "bee-bath". A bee-bath os similar to a birdbath, but it's a place where the bees can stop and get a drink. To make one you'll need a shallow bowl or dish, rocks or marbles, and a bit of water. The bees will land on the rocks and drink from the water, and won't drown due to lack of safe landing pads. It is an awesome and rewarding project. 

How Can I Learn More?

Visit your local beekeeper, research online, and ask gardners in your area about the bees. Slowly, people are becoming more aware of the problem and how to fix it, and you never know who can help you get motivated to save the bees. You may even become a beacon for others. Host garden parties and plant lovely blue and purple species for the honey-makers. You'll be happy you did when you see them dutifully buzzing around your yard. 

on Jul. 3 2016 at 7:46 pm

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Thanks! I am very happy I could teach you about the bees! :)

on Jul. 3 2016 at 12:23 pm
JustAnIdea SILVER, Moraga, California

"Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Nice job! This was very explanatory, and unlike a lot of nonfiction articles, I actually learned a lot about something.

on Jul. 3 2016 at 9:38 am

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Thank you very much! The wasp is actually extremely aggressive and not a super nice breed. I hate em too xD However, if I have time, I'd love to write about them for you!

on Jul. 2 2016 at 6:05 pm
Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission! -Unknown-

I found this to be very informative! Could you do one on how to handle the temperamental wasp? I have no problem with the Bee, it is the wasps, that I absolutely LOATHE!