Animal Abuse | Teen Ink

Animal Abuse

November 12, 2015
By alexisann BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
alexisann BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Animal abuse is an exteme choice in life  that can mess up a human and permanently damage the mind of an animal. In 2013 a study was done to find out if animal abusers, bullies, and victims of bullying experience the same behavioral difficulties by the Virginia Child Protection Newsletter, Animal Abuse and Child Abuse: Examining the Link. The study proved that the animal abusers, bullies and victims of bullying all experience around the same amount of behavioral difficulties that is significantly more than that of the non abusers, non victims, and non bullies. “The results can be utilized to help identify areas of psychological functioning that may be of concern for this population" Virginia Child Protection Newsletter.

Animal abuse is an unacceptable and horrendous behavior that not only affects the animal; it also affects the abuser. The person abusing the animal has to hide the animal and make sure the animal is not seen because of the extensive wounds on the animal. Abusing an animal can mess with the mind of the person doing it. That person now has to constantly be thinking about whether or not they will be caught when they return home.

The abuser thinks of the dog as an object and is not concerned with its well-being. The animal only has to walk by and it could set the abuser into a frenzy of unexpected behavior. An abuser goes to work everyday an could act just like a normal person; however, on their way home they may go through panic attacks and paranoia. Abusers do not consider themselves abusers; they find that they are only instilling discipline in the animal.

A solution to the problem of animal abuse, would be to get the people who abuse animals some help, such as putting them in a mental hospital or a rehabilitation center, and try to redirect the abuse into a more constructive behavior. Animal abuse is not acceptable it will hurt more than many know. An animal is an innocent being that deserves respect. “ You have to give respect too receive it.” This is a quote my dad has always told me; however, when it comes to animals, such as dogs and cats, they forgive and will still respect their abuser, but they will never forget the extensive damage they have endured.