The Danger of Fossil Fuels | Teen Ink

The Danger of Fossil Fuels

July 23, 2015
By Joanne Yang SILVER, Seoul, California
Joanne Yang SILVER, Seoul, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gasoline and coals drilled consistently from Earth under the name of fossil fuels have always been an essential component in our car industries and a source for gasoline for generations. These fossil fuels that originated from dead plant fossils or animals buried into the Earth’s surface is effective, yet harmful in the long term. Our world-wide market is facing price fluctuations and the price for this valuable source is shooting up rapidly. We are exploiting the limited resources of fossil fuels and depending on it as an energy source that would in the future, fade away from existence. As our reliance on fossil fuels increased, the negative consequences they had on our environment has intensified accordingly. Against this backdrop, because the various forms of fossil fuels burned for gasoline or electricity have a destructible impact on the environment, we should start owning up to our responsibilities in resorting to more eco-friendly technology.


When fossil fuels are burned for our convenience for fuel and energy, the process calls for the release of dangerous chemicals from the fossil fuel combustion. Clean air is undoubtedly imperative to a healthy life but  the major culprits that pollute the clean environment we need for our lives like carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons, sulfur and nitrogen oxides, and carbon monoxide are a serious problem. Carbon dioxide, for example, increased as a result of the use of fossil fuels about 25% in our atmosphere. In the United States, statistics from the Environmental Protection Agency determined that 79% of greenhouse emissions were due to the fossil fuels.  Due to the continuous emissions of chemicals and gases into our ozone layer in many countries, beginning from the 1800s, the global temperature has risen 0.5~1.1 degrees Fahrenheit. If the burning of these fossil fuels continue, the sea level would rise continuingly, threatening many cities or states near the coastlines, as people predict parts of California or New York City will later be underwater. Earth would be warmer with more unstable weather and climates and the emissions of the gas results in the melting of the glaciers that threatens animals like the polar bear in the North Pole.


Not only is the fossil fuel responsible for greenhouse gas emissions that exacerbate issues of global warming, they claim the lives of marine animals. Frequently when oil is being transported by ships or trucks, there are many oil spills where oil tanks leaks. These toxic substances in the unrefined oil poses danger to many marine animals in the ocean. The oil leaks affect animals both through internal and external exposures like through ingestion, inhalation, skin, and eye. Oil might smother many invertebrates’ feathers or furs that prevent these poor creatures from maintaining their body temperatures. For example, many seabirds, oyster larvaes, and sea otters are found dead in the shore lines due to their vulnerability to the ocean acidification.


Instead of using fossil fuels, we could resort to alternative energy like solar, wind, and wave power, a more environmentally friendly and renewable energy. Just like in the United States, we could encourage more people to put on solar panels on top of their houses and start to sponsor investments for solar energy. The government can also set up more wind mills or wave power converters near coastlines. For example, Australia had set up over 1800 wind turbines to convert kinetic energy from wind into electricity and power. Additionally, we could focus on technological innovations in making efficient and cheaper solar panels or hybrid cars. Hybrid cars based on electricity could help reduce these fossil fuels and can make our environment greener. We could help solve many problems including global warming aforementioned.

 


http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/coal-and-other-fossil-fuels/the-hidden-cost-of-fossil.html#.VZ-jy1Wqqko
http://www.eesi.org/topics/fossil-fuels/description
http://joanpyeproject.org/news/problems-with-fossil-fuels/
http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oil-and-chemical-spills/oil-spills/how-oil-harms-animals-and-plants-marine-environments.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth/ocean-acidification/
http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/Disadvantages_FossilFuels.php