Pollution: Earth’s Silent Killer | Teen Ink

Pollution: Earth’s Silent Killer

By ABIGAIL.S PLATINUM, Trenton, Ohio
ABIGAIL.S PLATINUM, Trenton, Ohio

"only you can start a change you want"

Do you enjoy going outside and enjoying the crisp fresh air? Around the world some people can’t enjoy the fresh air or just clean water. There has always been a need for protecting the environment and reducing pollution but it’s getting more and more important. The reason for why it’s important is global warming, the decrease in non-renewable resources, biodiversity, our need for water and the fact that it’s part of caring for our home and our futures.

Global warming is a growing problem and is a result of very large amounts of carbon dioxide and “greenhouse gases” being released into the air. Scientist have found that the climate change and the increase of major severe weather seen around the world are connected. The more pollution and destruction of different habitats that is caused by “man”, the more horrifying weather to happen that will lead to the loss of not only homes but also lives. Scientist have also said that we humans have till around 2020 to significantly reduce the pollution or we will to face catastrophic penalties. The greenhouse gas emissions would have to get down to below 47 gigatons to prevent the events that could happen in our future if we don't change. Right now we are at about 50 gigatons on average so getting it down to 47 would need the help of many people.

Along with global warming we are also using up all of our non-renewable resources. One we use up all of these resources they are gone. Studies have shown that all over the world we will fully run out of oil within about 50 years, that is within a teenager’s lifetime. With us running out we have to find ways of using more reusable resources to replace non-reusable like oil, coal, and natural gases. It’s up to us to save the non-reusable resources that we have left so that we do not run out since they are needed and should not be wasted.
Biodiversity is also at risk; biodiversity is the variety of plants and animals. Many important basic necessities that we need to survive. We need food, water, and shelter all of which come from nature. Sadly humans are responsible for a very large threat for species and their environments. We need biodiversity for medicines because most medicines are plant based. If we don't take care of our environment we could lose plants that could cure many major diseases.

We also need to take care of our environment and stop over polluting for the sake of our drinking water. Water is a must need in life, our bodies are made up of about 75% of water so we need water to live. But even with how important water is almost 780 million people don't have access to drinking water so about 1 of 9 people. With all the water in the world only a small part of the water is fresh water. Pollution made by man contaminates the small bit of fresh water that we do have. With about 5000 people dying every single day because of unclean water you would think more people would want to clean up world we live in. Garbage is dumped in the water that weighs around 14 billion pounds, most of which is plastic, along with that about one trillion gallons of untreated sewage along with industrial waste is dumped in U.S water every year. There are more than 73 different types of pesticides in groundwater that is then used as drinking water. It’s hard to think with all the reasons why we need to have clean water; we spend money on things that contribute to the pollution of water not things that could help to prevent it.

Lastly, if all that you've read does not change your perspective on the environment than maybe this will, maybe the biggest reason is that this is our home and also we need to take care of one another. By taking care of our home “earth” than we will be saving billions of lives and that should be the goal we all strive for. Children only contribute about 10% of the world’s pollution but have to deal with all of the downfalls, with almost 3 million children under 5 years of age die each year because of pollution. People can get lung and heart damage because of the hole in the ozone layer. Americans alone buy around 29 million bottles of water each year but only 13% are then recycled. Simple things like car pulling or recycling can help to reduce pollution so why not do those simple things.

Pollution is a growing problem that all humans need to work together to help fix. It will help prevent more global warming and also the lives of many people. We won't only be saving planet earth but everything on it. We can't wait for the problem to be out of control, we have to start a change now before it’s out of control.