Rough Tides | Teen Ink

Rough Tides

April 4, 2014
By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
92 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."


I remember the day as if it had just happened. I'll always regret it, not listening to my father, as I turned the car onto the tiny gravel path. I shouldn't have looked away to yell at him that Hey, Dad, it's my first time driving.

I'll always regret looking away...

I had just turned sixteen, and as any teenager, I was beyond excited and begged my dad to take me riding in the mountains. Eager, dumb, stupid. I had gotten so angry that I slammed on the gas and we were both jolted forward. My dad screams and reached out to take the wheel but I'm smashed up against it. Before I can open my eyes I realize we've stopped moving, realize how hard we are both breathing.

"Oh my God." My dad whispers, staring out the window. I open my eyes and watch as his skin turns pale and watch as he grasps my hand.

I'm whimpering like a child, sobbing because I don't have the slightest clue what to do.
We are sinking. I had drove us right over the paths edge and into the cold, deep river. And it was swallowing us whole.

"Clary, listen to me," my dad whispers." When the water fills up I'm going to open the doors. Then we can kick our way-... Clary! pay attention."

I hadn't noticed that I looked away and glanced fearfully into the water that surrounded us.
"Dad... I'm so sorry. I'm so stupid." I wailed. my dad placed his hand on my cheek and wiped away a fallen tear.

"You'll always be my little girl, Claire Bear. Just listen. When the water fills to the roof you have to hold your breath for as long as you can. I'll push you out the door and you have to swim to the surface."

We didn't have long. Within seconds the water was to my chin and up my nose. I grasped my fathers hand and felt the lonely silence as the water reached the roof. I stared, wide eyed and watched as my dad struggled with the door, but then suddenly it was flung open and the tide was pulling us out. I lost my fathers hand and was propelled through the water. My lungs burst and I gagged, thinking this was the end and I was alone but then strong hands pulled me up. The surface broke and my dad patted my back, sending up water and mud.

Stunned, we sat back onto the muddy shore and watched the last bubbles surface before the car was completely gone.

Then my father turned towards me and smiled.

"That's my girl."


The author's comments:
A story about survival.