GAS IS NOT GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. | Teen Ink

GAS IS NOT GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT.

October 11, 2007
By Anonymous

Gas is polluting the air, costs too much and is hurting our environment. Over the last, six years the gas prices rose about two dollars. From 1986 to 2000, the gas prices stayed at a fair amount. After the U.S invaded Iraq, the gas prices increased immensely. It’s not good to rely on other countries for our oil. They are charging us a lot of money to buy it from them. One day there is going to be no more oil and then what are we going to do?
It cost around eight dollars to drive 100 miles on April 26, 1990. It decreased to five dollars in 2005 when adjusting from inflation. From 2000 to 2007, the amount of compact vehicles sold increased from 21.51% to 31.78%. The gas prices rose 1.39 to 2.36 dollars. The compact vehicles hold about seven to eight gallons. Compact vehicles hold fewer gallons than SUVs but have more mpg than SUVs. Overall the SUVs use more fuel and have poor gas mileage. They pollute the environment, more than any other compact and midsized vehicles. They cost a lot. Why get one?

People have been thinking of alternative fuel source like nuclear energy, hydrogen, wind energy, bio-fuel, and solar energy. Wind electricity is when the wind turns the blades of a windmill; it spins a turbine inside a small generator to produce electricity.
Wind energy is growing at a rate of 29% each year. In the same time period, coal use has grown by 2.5 percent per year, nuclear power by 1.8 percent, natural gas by 2.5 percent, and oil by 1.7 percent. Wind energy would be a great alternative fuel source in the future because it would cost less and not pollute the environment. "Wind power has been established as a safe, clean, cheap energy option," the Earth Policy Institute's Joseph Florence said to OneWorld.net, a philanthropy website.
Over all gas is bad for us, the environment, hard to get, not good to rely on, and some part dangerous. Wind energy is a safe, easy way to create electricity. It does all the good things that gas doesn’t do. Next time you fill up your car with gas just think of what you’re doing to this environment.

SOURCES:
http://www.coyoteblog.com/photos/uncategorized/gas_price_100_1.gif
http://zfacts.com/p/35.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-price2.htm
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0705-02.htm