We Can Make A Change | Teen Ink

We Can Make A Change MAG

Yes, the world is gradually deteriorating, but instead of blaming our predecessors for destroying the planet, people should act upon our present problems. Even though there are an abundant number of signs, slogans, and commercials in an attempt to raise people's ecological awareness; the results have not been promising.

Perhaps there is a misconception in many people's minds about the environment. First of all, people have to realize the gravity of the ecological problems. Secondly, people have to be educated that changes could be made to help the world. There are just too many people saying things like, "It's not my fault that the ozone layer has a big hole in it," or "I don't have the time to recycle." I think these people are selfish and myopic. They do not comprehend the seriousness of our diminishing world, and worst of all, some are unconcerned because they think their death will arrive before the demise of the world. One of my friends said, "I really try to help the environment, but what is the use because the situation is hopeless." This is exactly why we have to educate the people about helping the environment and to correct this attitude.

People have to realize a solution will be devised to our ecological problems. Throughout history, man has conquered all kinds of difficult problems, and this one can also be conquered.

How will this problem be solved? I definitely think this problem will be solved if we all contribute our part to the environment. We can do so many little things that will in time accomplish a significant change. These contributions do not necessarily apply only to our ecological problems. The world has numerous items that need our attention such as AIDS, drug abuse, the homeless, the economic depression, and racism. There are so many ways to help save our environment and to overcome other problems. So please, do something to help our world. n