Stop Whaling | Teen Ink

Stop Whaling

By Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania
Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania

If we judge each other we won't ever have time to love each other!

Dear President Barrack Obama,

Imagine being in Japan at the ocean on a beautiful spring day. You see all the wonderful creatures popping up from the water. Suddenly, you hear horrible cries of a harmless whale, being slaughtered and exploited by whale hunters. Take a moment and think about what that whale may be feeling. Think about why the hunters are harming it. This is called whaling, where the whales are hunted, speared, shot, and killed for their meat.

The hunters use the whale for a lot of products that you may unknowingly use today! Did you also know that you might even eat it everyday? Why should we care? Whaling is poisonous to the people who eat it, it’s inhumane to poison us and kill mammals. Also, it’s a waste of money. Therefore, we should put an end to whaling.

First, whaling is highly poisonous to the people who may eat the whale meat. The factory workers in Japan say that whales are really healthy to eat, but that’s not necessarily true. Whale meat is heavily contained with mercury. Mercury is so toxic that only one small drop of it, can poison an entire pod of whales. Just by eating one bite, of the whale meat, it’s possible that you may not live after that! Also, the people who might eat the whale meat may not know that it contains mercury. If an expectant woman were to eat the whale meat, her baby may result in having retardation or a deformity. So, therefore the whale meat is not so healthy to eat.

Next, whaling is also inhumane to poison us and kill mammals. The whale hunters believe that whaling is not inhumane because the whales tend to die fast. So, they hunt whales and use them for resources because they think it’s the right thing to do; since the whales are going to die soon anyway. The whales are like us, humans. They’re harmless and they’re the second most intelligent animals. Whales are vulnerable to pain and suffering, which means, they are easily hurt. When the hunters shoot their riffles at a whale, it’s aware and can feel every bit of pain. Also, whale hunters believe that whales should be treated in the same way as other animals, such as chickens, cows, and pigs. Whales should not be treated like other animals because they are social beings. Over twenty-three, thousand of them are killed each year anyway.

Lastly, whaling is a waste of money. Japan sells the whale meat at high rates. They also mark the meat purposely, wrong so that the customers won’t know that it’s actually a whale that they’re eating. Japan also use whales for soap, tobacco, dog food, and other supplies. They say that they use whales for research, but stabbing and killing them, doesn’t sound like any research to me! Also, instead of using the money, given to them, for the poor, they use it for whaling. They use the whales to get them a better success in finance.

In conclusion, whaling is highly effective. Therefore, it needs to be stopped. Think about the poison that’s harming the ones who eat the whale meat. Think about the people who don’t know what they’re eating. Most importantly, think about the harmless whales. So, stand up and fight to put an end to whaling!

Respectfully,
Zorie B.

I look at whales as human beings!

on Mar. 5 2020 at 10:31 am
JimmytheBurritoGiver711, Webb City, Missouri

Want a burrito?

@Factually67 Jell-o + Whale = nono

Factually67 said...
on Mar. 3 2020 at 11:10 am
Factually67, Webb City, Missouri
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

@Amc20 I agree, they feed the whales Jell-o, which takes a toll on their physical health.

on Nov. 22 2015 at 4:20 am
This is very good WHALING MUST BE STOPPED NOW

Amc20 BRONZE said...
Amc20 BRONZE, Hartland,, Wisconsin
@Kally12 I personally think that Seaworld is place that needs to be shut down, it is inhumane, and can lead to many gruesome killings. For example to death of Dawn from Seaworld, she was killed by Tilikum who has had a history of violence starting in Canada. Tilikum would receive punishment from more dominate female orcas, he would have wounds like raking( when teeth are put up against the flesh of the whale). The attacks in nature are almost nonexistent, against humans. I have to say that whale captivity needs to stop.

Bob Bob said...
on Nov. 11 2014 at 5:41 am
Hi!!!  

Kally12 said...
Kally12, Birmingham, Other

I'm no nerd, just smarter than you

Yeah, I agree with this. Do you have an opinion on Whale Captivity (SeaWorld)

icubit said...
on Mar. 13 2014 at 3:08 am
not entirely true ...