Is Global Warming a Serious Threat? | Teen Ink

Is Global Warming a Serious Threat?

January 20, 2011
By horselove146 GOLD, Scituate, Massachusetts
horselove146 GOLD, Scituate, Massachusetts
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Why would a polar bear find itself on a miniscule piece of ice? Why can’t you see the Boston skyline from Scituate? Why are the oceans rising? The answer is global warming. Global warming is a serious threat as shown through climate change, people’s everyday lives, and pollution.

Global warming is being greatly affected by people’s everyday lives. Industrialization, deforestation, and pollution are causing greenhouse gases to trap in heat into the Earth’s atmosphere. When we let out too much carbon dioxide it destroys the ozone layer. The ozone layer is “a layer in the stratosphere (at approximately 20 miles) that contains a concentration of ozone sufficient to block most ultraviolet radiation from the sun”. (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=ozone%20layer) Without the ozone layer heat is getting trapped in the atmosphere, therefore causing the planet to heat up. This demonstrates how global warming is affecting the Earth. National Geographic News says people are letting out carbon dioxide faster than the plants and oceans can take it in. People are using too much electricity, by burning fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are “coal, natural gas, and petroleum; energy sources obtained from deposits of ancient organic remains”. We do not have an unlimited amount of fossil fuels; our supply is actually very limited. Once we run out of fossil fuels, they are gone. When greenhouse gases trap in heat the planet heats up. This causes temperatures to rise, which causes global warming. This shows that there is too much carbon dioxide, which causes heat to get trapped in. If people do not take action, the planets ozone layer will continue to disappear, which will cause the sun’s UV rays to get trapped in Earth’s atmosphere.

Global warming is a climate change that is rapidly increasing. The temperatures are increasing very fast. Scientists say that temperatures have risen 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880, as stated in a news article titled “Global Warming Fast Facts”. The past two decades have been the hottest ever recorded. This shows that global warming is real and it is a serious threat to the world. Ice and glaciers are melting, which is causing animals to suffer. Many animals are stranded in the water, with no ice to stand on. When temperatures rise ocean melt and expand. “Climate Progress” says there will be a large loss of species, up to 50% or more, on land and in the water. Other animals cannot get food because they cannot go far enough out on the ice. There will be more hurricanes and other natural disasters. If there are more natural disasters more people will lose their homes, and many will die. The Hadley Center adds, “By the 2090s close to one-fifth of the world’s population will be exposed to ozone levels well above the World Health Organization recommended safe- health level.” All of these fears are outcomes of global warming. This proves that global warming has serious consequences and weather pattern change. Global warming is not only a worldwide crisis, but it is a serious threat to the life of the planet.

There are many ways in which people can help to reverse global warming. People should try to help because there are serious consequences due to global warming. There are also unknown risks that scientist do not know about yet. In an article “Reduce Global Warming” by Deborah Mitchell, it is stated that reducing gasoline consumption reduces pollution because the air is not being clogged up by the exhaust from the gasoline. If people unplug appliances when they are not using them, the use of electricity would be decreased. Researching energy efficient appliances is also a big help in decreasing the use of electricity. Recycling will also help to reverse global warming because people will not have to use as much paper. Making paper requires trees to be cut down. If people are not using a lot of paper, or recycling the paper, fewer trees will have to be cut down. If there are less trees being cut down, there will be more trees to absorb the extra carbon dioxide in the air. This shows that there are easy ways to help with global warming. In addition, the use of energy efficient light bulbs reduced carbon footprint. Carbon footprint is another word for the amount of carbon dioxide being released. If people eat more fruits and vegetables, rather than meats, there will be less oil being released from waste. Turning off the lights when they are not in use is also a great way to help reverse global warming. This proves that people can help by doing easy, everyday tasks, and making a difference is not hard. Also in the article Mitchell states that the most important thing people can do to help make a difference is to help people become aware of global warming.
The world does not have to suffer from global warming. People can make a difference. By changing your everyday life, you can be helping to reduce global warming. People need to take in consideration that the Earth’s ozone layer is being decreased. Without the ozone layer the sun’s hot UV rays are being trapped in, and the planet is being heated up. Join The Ultimate Global Warming Challenge, by visiting, ultimateglobalwarmingchallenge.com. This challenge allows you to enter a contest, by sending an entry to, junkman@junkscience.com. Reversing global warming can save the life of the planet, and the life of plants and animals. Become aware of global warming, and try to help out.