Make a Green Routine | Teen Ink

Make a Green Routine

August 11, 2010
By singing147 BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
singing147 BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Energy – Make a Green Routine

Imagine this: An earth where young people carpool, consume less, ride bikes, and play an active role in preserving the limited resources that we are granted on earth.

By working together to modify our daily routines to conserve energy, we can change the world. Conserving energy is not only beneficial to our environment, but these “Green routines” are also a way for teens to become an efficacious part society working together to save the planet.

Turning 16 is a big deal for most teenagers. Why? Because the freedom of driving is right around the corner. Each time a teenager gets a car, that is one more nitrous oxide and particulate matter polluting monster crowding our roads. However, by showing teenagers the myriad of benefits that come from carpooling, we could be one step closer to transforming our atmosphere for the better and saving energy.

Doing our part to preserve the energy includes monitoring what we consume as well as the garbage and pollution we put out. Young people tend to be big consumers. Between technology, clothes, food, and the millions of other “things” we consume, what we buy is usually wrapped in tons of packaging. By making an effort to consume less, we are saving the energy that would be used in the production, packaging and disposal of excess goods. Consuming less can mean different things to different people. It can mean buying in bulk to avoid the extra individual wrapping, avoiding goods that come in a glut of packaging, or simply buying less.

We all have experience the days when it is sinful to be inside. We are pampered with picturesque weather in South Florida, and what better way to enjoy it than by saving energy? Taking that bike out of the garage and for spin. Why drive? Avoid polluting and wasting energy by biking, instead of driving, to the local grocery store, friends’ houses, parks, or other places in near proximity. It is a simple equation. Saving energy + getting exercise + enjoying the weather – pollution + feeling great = Riding your bike every once in a while.

All in all, saving the world is a not a job reserved solely for Superman. If everyone in the young generation contributes to the cause, we can all be wearing green superhero capes in the near future. Create a “green routine” by practicing little habits such as carpooling, consuming less and riding a bike, and we can make a big change in energy efficiency.

The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece because it dawned on me how easy it is to make a personal change that can greatly benefit the environment and the future. In hopes of sharing this epiphany with others, I wrote about some daily routines that can be "green-ified" by anyone.