Reusable Bags; The Way to Go | Teen Ink

Reusable Bags; The Way to Go

April 19, 2010
By TreeTopWriter SILVER, Davenport, Iowa
TreeTopWriter SILVER, Davenport, Iowa
9 articles 14 photos 0 comments

One thing I have noticed recently is how many people use paper and plastic bags when shopping for groceries. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. There are so many obvious reasons reusable bags are better to use! Reusable bags are, of course, reusable, reliable, they save businesses money, and they are better for the environment.

Reusable bags are much more comfortable to shop with. They don’t rip or tear easily like the unpredictable plastic or paper bags that break whenever something is too heavy. (Remember, these reusable bags are made of cloth or strong synthetic material). Reusable bags generally have more room, too. And if you’re a girl, some cloth bags are even stylish.

Reusable bags save businesses money. Instead of buying or producing countless paper and plastic bags, customers bring their own bags. The money can be used for more important things like better parking spaces or higher pay for employees. Therefore, it would benefit everyone, owners, employees, and customers.

And last of all, using reusable bags is better for the environment. Oil and plastic, two very important resources, are not wasted making plastic bags, and trees do not need to be cut down for the thick paper bags. Trees help balance the ecosystems of the world, and are the lungs of the planet. Also, pollution emitted from the factories making these harmful bags can be prevented.

There are, I repeat, so many obvious reasons to use reusable bags, not paper/plastic ones, so I hope you share my confusion in why stores and companies still use them. In Europe, it is not a new thing to use cloth bags. It is, as it should be, common sense! So the next time you stop by the grocery store with your reusable bag, and you are asked, “Paper or plastic?” you can say…neither.

The author's comments:
My frustration with the constant use of paper and plastic bags, along with the push to use reusable ones, caused me to say what I thought.