Solutions for a better environment | Teen Ink

Solutions for a better environment

October 16, 2009
By debbieeee BRONZE, Port Washington, New York
debbieeee BRONZE, Port Washington, New York
2 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
We ignore the ones who adore us,
adore the ones that ignore us,
love the ones that hurt us, and
hurt the ones that love us.


Over the past couple of years, our environment has changed very drastically. One main reason is because humans don’t take good enough care of the Earth. If we do not do anything about this, the Earth won’t be in good shape. Luckily, there are many solutions for what we could do. One of many causes that are damaging our environment is global warming. Another cause that is damaging our environment is the air quality.

Global warming is a rise in temperatures over time on the Earth’s surface. The amount of global warming has increased over the years due to many reasons. For example, pollution from cars, power plants, and more. Global warming has caused glaciers to melt which can lead to many more water shortages in the West of America. It also causes the ocean to become warmer which is bad because that could make it easier for tropical hurricanes to pick up more energy and become more powerful. Forests, farms, and cities have had trouble dealing with more mosquitoes and more troublesome pests, too. Global warming leads many animals to extinction, as well. A couple of solutions to prevent global warming are that you could conserve energy, turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth; plug the sink in while you’re washing the dishes, and more.

Many factories today use extremely bad fumes that are harmful to the Earth. A lot of those fumes come out of the chimney of the building which rises up into the atmosphere. Then, it produces more carbon dioxide than we need and the carbon dioxide traps in the heat, which makes the Earth warmer (Greenhouse effect). This is very bad for the air that we breathe. The various gases and little particles that are in the fumes can harm our health and environment. However, factories aren’t the only cause for all this. Other human activities can interfere with the air quality of the Earth, too. A solution for this could be that we could use less of the material that affects the air quality of the Earth. It will decrease the amount of pollution in the air. Also, many factories can use less harmful gases that are harmful to the Earth, as well. Clearly, this shows two of the many problems that has changed our environment today and solutions that could help our environment.


The author's comments:
I really like learning about global warming. It makes me more alert about taking care of the Earth and our environment.