2020 Starter Pack | Teen Ink

2020 Starter Pack

By jacobnieuwenhuis BRONZE, Yukon, Oklahoma
jacobnieuwenhuis BRONZE, Yukon, Oklahoma

Due to climate change, over half of the United States will be underwater in 250 years. This is caused by polar ice caps melting causing rising sea levels. The changing weather causes thousands of animal species to go extinct every year. Inefficient cars are emitting more greenhouse gas into the air than ever before. Things just like these are happening in every country all around the world. The Earth as we know it is rapidly deteriorating and humans aren't doing anything to correct it, in fact they are making it worse. These facts show that something needs to be done, but who is going to take a stand and do it?

At the rate that we are going, many cities home to millions of inhabitants will be underwater. This will force a relocation that will be a problem in itself. As the New York Times states,” Rising seas could affect three times more people by 2050 than previously thought.” This quote by Christopher Flavelle talks about how people would have to move or could die because of the rising sea levels if we don't do something about it. In conclusion, something needs to be done soon to stop the rising sea levels, or it will be too late. 

Another problem we have in today's world is animal species going extinct. The quote “Each time a species goes extinct, the world around us unravels a bit, “ by biologicaldiversity.org, meaning that every time a species goes extinct, part of earth no longer exists and we have to face the fact that yet another species will never be seen again. If a change isn't made, we could be the last living animals on earth with no meat to eat because it has all gone extinct. In conclusion, animal extinction is a serious problem and if not addressed immediately we may not see some species in the near future.

Another problem in today's world is vehicle emissions.  Although vehicles have become more efficient, the frequency of use has drastically increased since the use of cars has become very normalized. According to Hannah Roser, “Carbon dioxide emissions are the primary driver of global climate change.” The quote shows that emissions might in fact be the leading cause of why the earth's climate is changing at such a rapid rate. Changing from coal and fossil fuels to renewable energy may not be easy, but if we want to preserve our planet it is necessary.

Many changes need to take place in the world to keep it inhabitable. These changes may not be easy, but they are necessary to save many lives in the future. Our parents wanted the best for us, now it's time that we give our children the best future that they can have by conserving our planet. At first glance, it may seem like an impossible task, but if everyone does their part, it will be easy to change the path we are on right now.