Why Wolves Are Keeping Yellowstone Heathy | Teen Ink

Why Wolves Are Keeping Yellowstone Heathy

By Something_Special BRONZE, Elliott, Massachusetts
Something_Special BRONZE, Elliott, Massachusetts

Difference between School and Life?
School Teaches you something then tests you.
Life Tests you then teaches.

After 70 years the wolf is back, and thriving. In 1926 the wolf was shot from extinction in Yellowstone National Park causing a huge disruption in the ecosystem of Yellowstone. In 1995 the wolf was reintroduced into Yellowstone, for the purpose of taming the elk population which had grown tremendously and was overgrazing Yellowstone. We were in for a shock, because the wolves did much more than lower the elk population.

Wolves triggered a park-wide change. Predation effected the prey by reducing prey numbers and density, therefore changing migration patterns and eating habits. Using elk for an example, elk became more wary and ate less if wolves were around. This rejuvenated the plant life, and provided more habitat for birds, fish and even the beaver. Also by default effects the aquatic life by stopping erosion. The aquatic life’s habitat improvement bolstered the fish population, which then effects the bears and birds who depend on the fish for the nutrition. 

Some people think that the wolf shouldn't have been reintroduced to Yellowstone, but truth is wolves did more help than harm. By just hunting elk, they changed Yellowstone for the better, and that, is one more step towards a better future for animals in Yellowstone Park.

I was inspired to write this because wolves are viewed in a negative light, and I wanted to change the way people see them. They are not just a killer, but they are hero, something we all dream of being or just seeing. When we look in every allyway for a hero, we neglect to look right infront of us at the hero who changed Yellowstone Park, the wolf.