World Hunger | Teen Ink

World Hunger

March 18, 2014
By alannareynolds BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
alannareynolds BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

World Hunger
Imagine not being able to consume food. Imagine not knowing when you’ll eat your next meal or know where it will come from. Millions of people are suffering from malnutrition as of now. Its not good to just watch all of these people suffering. Hunger is a major issue that is immensely impacting the world. This problem is very serious and needs to be abolished. Another element of this issue is the inability to access clean water.
''They are chronically deprived of the food needed to enjoy an active, healthy life. Their lives are significantly impaired by poor diet '' says Dr. Uwe Kracht, Co-coordinator, World Alliance for Nutrition and Human Rights (New York Times). Undernourishment is a serious matter. It is crucial for this to be put to an end. Living in poverty is the main cause of hunger. Over 100 million people in the world are homeless. There are around 3 billion people in the world suffering from this.
Lack of sanitized water is affecting people worldwide. According to UNICEF, 768 million people do not have access to safe clean drinking water. There are many common diseases caused by lack of sanitized water such as cholera, malaria, typhoid fever, and arsenicosis. Unfortunately, 1,400 children die from diseases linked to unsafe water each day and around 3.4 million deaths occur each year from water related diseases.
World hunger needs to end now. There are many ways to help prevent and decrease the amount of people going through hardships just to find something to consume each day. People can make food donations or donate money. Donating food actually makes a huge impact on those who suffer from malnutrition. Another way to prevent world hunger is by improving access to education. By improving access to a better education, more opportunities are opened and you have more access for income and food. We need to take action. There are many projects around that people can join to help this cause such as the World Food Programme (WFP), Stop Hunger Now organization and the and the UNICEF Tap Project. World hunger affects many and needs to be put to an end. Many people are forced to drink water that isn't sanitized . With just a few steps we can help make a difference in others lives that are in need.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/28/world/world-hunger-found-still-growing.html
http://www.unicefusa.org/campaigns/tap-project/
http://borgenproject.org/10-ways-stop-world-hunger/
http://water.org/water-crisis/water-facts/water/


The author's comments:
I decided to write about this because people need to realize how serious world hunger is and how much it impacts the world.