Saving Lives | Teen Ink

Saving Lives

By Piepiepie SILVER, Lakewood, Colorado
Piepiepie SILVER, Lakewood, Colorado

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
~Oscar Wilde

Almost everyone knows someone diagnosed with breast cancer. These people for me are my Aunt Karen and my grandmother’s friend Cindy. Even though I was too young to understand the severity of their diagnostics, I now realize how this has affected their lives and their family and friends. Every year since I was in sixth grade I have walked the Race for the Cure with my Aunt, Cindy, and other family members and friends.

If you have walked in this race, then you know. You know what it feels like when you cross the finish line. It reminded me of my first concert. It was a Jon Bon Jovi concert and it was AMAZING. About six songs into this concert my voice had started to hurt so I sat down. I soon realized there were tears burning my eyes. I thought that it was strange. I had a drink of Coca-Cola and went back to screaming my head off along with the other fans. I realized later that these tears were because of how happy I was.
These feelings occurred about a year later when I walked over the finish line at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I realized that what I was doing was amazing. Helpful. Appreciated. This race is an amazing and it all goes to a good cause. It’s giving a gift to everyone who was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
It brings awareness and respect to everyone affected with breast cancer. Whether you are the one with breast cancer, or a close family member or friend, you feel the effects of everything coming from this project. I believe that everyone should somehow participate. You feel like you could do anything.