Project Reach | Teen Ink

Project Reach MAG

About two years ago I volunteered an hour one afternoon a week at Project Reach, a program for tutoring homeless children. The first day I walked into the room a little boy with bright red hair, sparkling blue eyes, a face full of freckles and a smile that would brighten the dreariest day caught my eye. I immediately asked my supervisor if I could work with him. Chris and I were paired on the spot. We got right to work: reading, writing, working on addition and just talking. Every week I looked forward to spending time with him, and not once did I leave without having learned something new.

I never imagined I could learn from a six-year-old, but Chris taught me more than any teacher ever has: to appreciate the little things in life like a cool summer breeze or even just a hug or a smile.

Volunteering for Project Reach was one of my most fulfilling experiences and I wouldn't give it up for anything. This experience has given me the opportunity to reach out to those who need it and to even be reached out to. So try it and maybe you will be as lucky as I have been. fl