L.I.F.E. Senior Ball | Teen Ink

L.I.F.E. Senior Ball MAG

Growing up in a household actively involved in serving the elderly, I could not help but carry on the tradition.

As a young child, my mother worked as an activity director in a nursing home. I was constantly around the elderly and spent most of my summers with my mother at her work. This created an inseparable attachment between elderly people and me that would last forever.

Every March, I serve as a volunteer for the L. I. F. E. Senior Ball. L. I. F. E. (Living Is For the Elderly) is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to help nursing and rest home residents enhance the quality of their lives. This annual ball gives nursing home residents an opportunity to get out of the home and socialize with residents from other homes. Also, it makes residents feel wanted and young once again.

I remember last year's ball as if it was yesterday. At five, I arrived at the Malden Irish-American Club. Along with other volunteers, I began to set up the tables and prepare the food. About an hour later, the first group of residents arrived, wearing tuxedoes or gowns. Before long, the entire hall was filled with music, dancing and laughter. The residents were having a ball. Then it came time to eat. It was my responsibility to serve dinner to three tables. It was great. I did not hear a complaint the entire time. The residents were just glad to be there.

After dinner, it was time to select the king and queen. As the winners were chosen, the room was full of applause. It looked as if the winners had just won the lottery. Then it was time for the last dance. Everyone joined in as the night was coming to an end. As the residents were being escorted to the cars, it was sad to see the night come to an end. My last job was to assist in cleaning up the hall. I couldn't believe the night was over already.

I gained great satisfaction watching the residents have fun and enjoy the night. This night made me realize how important the elderly really are. One day, we will all grow old. I figure that if I serve the elderly now, someone will eventually return the favor to me. Since I had a great time last year, I can't wait for the 1995 L. I. F. E. Senior Ball to come. fl