David | Teen Ink

David MAG

About a year ago new neighbors moved in next door. They had a little boy named David who was five years old. David has cerebral palsy, rides in a wheelchair and uses sign language. I help David as much as I can. Sometimes he drives his wheelchair over to our house and asks us to do things with him. During the summer he comes over and asks us to go to the neighbor's house and pick berries with him.We pick bowls full of blackberries. When he gets tired of doing this, we go back to his house. If it is a hot day, he asks me to take him swimming in his pool. He likes to fall off the ladder and have you catch him. He likes to have other people jump off, too, because he likes to see big splashes. Other times when he just wants to relax in the pool, he floats around on his tube. Sometimes when his parents are busy I push him on the swing. He can swing for long periods of time and still enjoy it. David has a Fisher-Price wagon we sometimes give him rides in. He likes to go up and down hills, around his driveway and up and down his ramp. Sometimes he just likes to take walks around his yard. His legs aren't strong enough for him to walk by himself, so I help him.

I really enjoy helping David because I get to see how much stronger and smarter he is getting. When he first moved in, he was not able to say too much. But in one short year he can talk a lot. He has even learned how to say my name. I really don't like it when people consider someone dumb just because they cannot talk very well. David may not be able to speak a lot, but he is very smart. He communicates in sign language and he is able to recognize people and his surroundings. David has even taught me sign language.

I do many things to help David's mother. Sometimes when I'm home and she isn't able to get a babysitter, I get him off the bus. I then take him back to my house and make him a snack. His favorite snack is popcorn and juice. Sometimes when his parents get back from the grocery store, I watch David while they put they put the groceries away.

I really enjoy helping David. I wish everyone could feel the happiness you get from helping people. fl

i love this so much!