Community Service - A Part Of Education? | Teen Ink

Community Service - A Part Of Education? MAG

Have you ever wondered why so many people do community service? Well, there are a lot reasons! It makes you feel happy and useful, it is enjoyable, it gives you something to do when you're bored, and some schools require it. Yes, that's right: schools, and colleges, are making community service part of their everyday classes, hoping to make it a tradition. Not only is it part of their curriculum, but some schools like references from your past service.

As the demand for good colleges and universities rises, these learning institutions are trying to incorporate students into surrounding community and off-campus life. People are starting to realize you need a well-rounded education to make it in the modern workplace. Of course this still includes traditional courses and classes, but community service allows students to learn from other people, not just books.

Now, I'm sure that there are people reading this who might say, "Well, there's nothing that I can do to make the world a better place." If that's what you think, you're seriously wrong. It's true that not everyone can go around the world, help feed the starving, clothe the naked, or give drink to the thirsty. But you can start by helping your neighbors, friends, and family. To be successful you don't need to be famous, you only need the caring and compassion to help others as well as yourself.

As Mother Teresa once said, "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." fl