Being Proud of What You Do | Teen Ink

Being Proud of What You Do MAG

When people hear how manyhours of community service I have done, they ask, "Do you get paid?"When I say no, they wonder why I do it. I tell them it's because I liketo help people.

Many think that community service is just something youare forced to do for school. To me, community service is a way of giving back. Ilike making people feel as though they matter, and it gives me a warm feeling atthe end of the day because I feel I have made a difference. I grow as a personeach time I do community service.

Some people do community service becausethey have to, but I do it because I want to. I have volunteered over 400 hours ofcommunity service at a local medical center. I help people find family membersand help the nurses when they are busy. I read to patients and visit with themwhen no one else does.

Working at the hospital has given me the power tohelp families feel better about what is happening to their relatives. I make sureto visit the patients on my floor; I like to see their smiling faces and heartheir laughter after I tell a joke.

It is difficult to see people sickand lonely. Many don't have family to come see them and just stay sick becausethey think no one cares about them. I help them feel better.

It alwaysputs a smile on my face when they smile and wave at me as they leave. It makes mefeel good that I have made a difference by making them feel loved and happy.

deziann said...
so good to see persons takin time to do something for some one congrats