Bookworm | Teen Ink

Bookworm

By Joshua1 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Joshua1 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“Make sure you are actually working, and not just lounging about,” was the first instruction I was given when I arrived at the public library to volunteer on my first weekend. As I proceeded to get the books I was supposed to shelve, another employee at the library entered the back room. She had an apprehensive look on her face as if she wanted to say hi and get to know me, but at the same time she didn't want to waste her time getting to know me and then be disappointed, and lose a friend.

I shrugged the look off, and continued on my way to the sea of books. I could barely contain the lion that was my eagerness to begin shelving books (It's because I love book and most everything to do with books). Little did I know that the reason shelving was saved for volunteers is because it is an mind-numbing arduous task. Halfway through my first cart of books at least I believe it was half way through, a flicker of movement in my peripheral vision caught my eye and I turned around to investigate.

A boy hurriedly averted his eyes as I turned to face him, and began to examine the adult romance novels (that was the section I was in) with a puzzled expression as if he contemplated checking one of the books out although he looked no more than seven. I asked him if he was lost and needed help, but he just stared at me blankly, so I proceeded to pepper him with questions until I knocked over a shelf full of books.

Well I seized on that chance to ask him his name again, which was Devon. I also found out that he didn't have anything to read that he was looking for something to read, so I showed him a series I loved and still love as I watched him he became completely engrossed in the book and I left him at that point telling him if he ever needed anymore help to just ask me.

Walking away I had one of those Scrubs moments where everything slows down and a kind of voice over comes in, and I realized I had just helped someone and a warm glow spread from my stomach outwards. I now know that no matter if its giving food to the homeless or helping a young boy find a book so he can continue to read and enjoy literature, that simple gesture mean the world not only to those whom you do them towards but also for yourself.