Brought To The Surface | Teen Ink

Brought To The Surface

By CourtneyLudwick GOLD, Yorktown, Texas
CourtneyLudwick GOLD, Yorktown, Texas

Throughout the vortex of time, a plethora of teenagers have experienced the tragic reality of bullying. Most adults, however, only see the surface of the issues brought to their attention by the carelessness of the bullies.
Bullying can be viewed many different ways: what happened to the person to inflict harm on a fellow human, what might have the fellow hominid have done to receive the infliction, but one truth should be universally known and accepted as fact. Teens bullying other teens, or anyone causing emotional or physical pain to another person at any age, is wrong.
Sure, everyone has heard the tired and overused clichés counselors and teachers have spouted through strained yet grim smiles, but they still only hit the surface. They scoop up the ice cream from the hypothetical bowl of injustice, but they lack the understanding only teens understand. We get that sometimes bullies are bullied.
That's the universal problem with adults: they think it's simple. Just as they believe our lives, tax-free and jobless are easy, they think the situations in schools all over America and the rest of the worlds growing teen population are simple; easy as pie.
Complex situations show that it's a mosh pit of fighting and arguing and mentally breaking down to the point in your teenage years where people feel like giving up. As teens that understand our unique and so not trivial situations, we need to unite and stop the surface scraping. We need to get to the surface.