The Immigration Nation | Teen Ink

The Immigration Nation MAG

By reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas
reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas

Immigration has been a controversial topic throughout history and has been of particular importance for the United States in recent years. There are numerous negative connotations with the word immigrant, from the false impression that they take jobs from U.S. citizens to the equally untrue stereotype that immigrants are involved in terrorism. While these ideas are rooted in the minds of many, the reality is that the United States has been built upon immigration, and since its establishment as a country the constant flow of immigrants has caused it to flourish. Immigrants like my grandparents came to America in search of a life of opportunity and in turn have given back to their communities in countless ways.

My grandmother, Premila Tripathi Suthar, is a first-generation immigrant and an American citizen. Sitting on her patio in Houston, Texas, her head tilted back and eyes closed, she soaks up the warm July sun. As she swings gently, she is transported back to her childhood in India, to another July day, seemingly lifetimes ago ….

A bucket filled with water in each hand, Premila kicks up swirls of dust with every step. She is on her daily trek home from the well. Premila knows when she arrives at her modest, three-room home on the outskirts of Borsad, Gujarat, more chores await; she will work until well past sundown, stopping only for a meal with her parents and 11 siblings. As the eldest child, she holds a lot of responsibility in the family, cooking meals, looking after her twin brothers, and working as a tutor for a measly 150 rupees a month.

Premila attended a local university, and her parents value education. All the hard work and long hours were definitely worth the bachelor’s degree in biology she earned. She knows it is unlikely she will attend medical school. Her parents care far more about her marrying well and settling down to start a family.

Inside the house the shade is a welcome reprieve from the heat. Her father is sitting at the kitchen table, which is unusual. Most days he works outside or on the streets selling the fruits and vegetables they grow to make a living.

“Prem,” her father begins. “As you know, since you are now a marriageable age, your mother and I have been talking to parents with boys your age to find suitable prospects.”

Oh, this again, Premila thinks. She isn’t interested in marrying at the moment but knows her marriage is steadily approaching. There will be no asking her what she wants; she will be told whom to marry.

“We’ve found someone,” her mother continues.

Not yet, Premila thinks. Now there will be no chance of her attending medical school; she will be expected to take care of the house and have children within a year.

“His name is Kavan Suthar.” She pulls out a picture of a young man. “He’s from Gujarat, but he just moved to America. He’s studying to be a lawyer.”

Her father says, “You’re moving to America, Prem. It’ll be a better life – for you and your children.”

So it was decided. Premila left for America two weeks later, embarking on a journey that changed her life, and those of generations of descendants to come, forever.

The dependency ratio of a country is defined as the number of people of working age compared to the number above or below working age. A high dependency ratio is a drain on a country’s resources and economy. Immigration is a key factor in decreasing this ratio in the United States. Many immigrants are young people coming to finish their education and start a career or to dive right in to work. Adding workers to the labor force leads to a decrease in poverty and unemployment for everyone. Additionally, the U.S. Social Security system benefits from immigration; more workers means Social Security can be provided to those in true need without an increase in taxes. The steady influx of young immigrants into the United States allows our country to keep improving and caring for children and the elderly.

In the present day, my grandmother, Premila, goes inside for a glass of water – relief from the Texas heat. Entering the living room, she notices a photo album on the bookshelf. It dates back to 1962, the year she came to the U.S.

On the second page is a picture her sister snapped of her a moment before she boarded the ship. She remembers the confusing mix of emotions that day: the excitement and anticipation of moving to America, sadness at leaving home, her friends, and family, fear because the only person she would have in this new place was a man she had never met, and determination to be strong for her family, who were relying on her to begin a new life and send money home.

After arriving in New York and taking a train to Massachusetts, Premila spent the first few weeks making her marriage to Kavan official and settling into their apartment. When she started applying for medical school, she discovered that the degree she worked so hard to earn in India counted for next to nothing in the U.S. While she wasn’t forced to retake four years of college, she did have to take a semester of courses at the nearby community college as well as pass a series of tests proving her proficiency. Eventually, Premila was accepted into medical school.

My grandmother continues flipping through pictures, remembering her medical school years. She and my grandfather during a long night of studying for exams. Posing with friends at a restaurant. Watching a firework show on the Fourth of July. her next to the Washington Monument when they drove to Washington, D.C., for a weekend. And finally, holding her certificate when she graduated from medical school.

When a country attracts and retains the most motivated and intelligent students through immigration, there are countless benefits, especially in the areas of technology and medicine. In fact, “Immigrants represent 29 percent of scientists … 50 percent of PhDs working in math and computer science occupations and 57 percent of PhDs working in engineering,” cites Gene Sperling, former director of the National Economic Council and assistant to the president for economic policy. Furthermore, immigrants are substantially influential in evolving technology.

Immigrants founded a quarter of companies in the U.S. backed by venture capital companies that make considerable advances in technology, including Google, Yahoo, Comcast, eBay, Intel, and Sun Microsystems. Immigrants make up one-third of all Nobel Prize winners and a significant number of world-renowned athletes, artists, and musicians. And immigration statistics rarely include the children of immigrants, who continue to improve the country, starting careers and businesses of their own and making contributions in their fields.

When asked about the negative consequences of immigration, for many people the first thought that comes to mind is that immigrants “steal” jobs and leave U.S. citizens unemployed. On the contrary, statistics show that immigrants fill undesirable unskilled labor jobs. In fact, although immigrants make up just 15.8 percent of the overall employed civilian population, they represent 49 percent of private household workers (for example, housekeepers, gardeners, cooks) and one-fifth of workers in the industries of agriculture, fast food, and construction. Additionally, immigrants who are more successful end up creating jobs. For example, an immigrant opening a business would need to hire employees. Rather than depriving people of jobs, immigrants take unwanted jobs and create new work opportunities.

In November 1976, Premila opened a clinic with Eva Navarro, another internal medicine physician. The clinic was so successful that they had to hire several medical assistants and nurses, as well as another physician to join their practice. Meanwhile, Kavan’s law firm was growing and hiring new people.

Immigration benefits the economy through growth in international trade and urbanization. The United States experiences a larger amount of trade with the countries it accepts the most immigrants from. This occurs because immigrants entering the country help solidify trade relationships with their countries of origin. Currently, Canada and Mexico are respectively the first and third largest trading partners of the United States, and both countries contribute a significant number of immigrants to the U.S. When immigrants move to cities for better education and job opportunities, the population and size of these cities increase significantly. This growth, known as urbanization, is beneficial for the economy of cities, states, and the country as a whole. As cities grow, citizens have better access to public services such as transportation, medical care, and education, and the government is more easily able to provide these services. Additionally, big cities attract global industries such as tourism and trade, further boosting the economy.

America has often been called a “melting pot” due to its assimilation of unique cultures. This diversity comes from the many immigrants who have entered the country for decades and continue to do so today. It is not uncommon to enter a classroom and find that the students’ families represent more than 10 different countries. In many towns and cities you can find mosques, temples, churches, and synagogues in close proximity to one another. Americans celebrate holidays from around the world – from Chinese New Year and Diwali to Christmas and Hanukkah.

This mix of cultures, races, and religions creates an atmosphere of tolerance. Although equality was a founding principle of the United States, people throughout history have had to fight hard for true equal rights. Even today, discrimination exists. However, immigration has gradually led people to become more accepting and less prejudiced as they are familiarized with different cultures and traditions.

Premila places the photo album back on the shelf and pulls down another. This is the one Premila started when she and Kavan moved to Houston and had their first child, a baby girl named Anushka (Anu for short). It was also where they bought their first house. They moved because Houston’s medical center was one of the most prestigious in the U.S. and Premila had been offered a job. Kavan had gotten several job offers too.

Photos show the first day of kindergarten for Anu. Prem and Kavan walked her to her classroom, saying, “Have a good day!” and “We love you!” As always, the amount of diversity astounded Premila. There were children from around the world – China and France, Mexico and Canada.

Premila appreciated this diversity and the cultural opportunities it presented her family. Every year, the Zhang family, neighbors and close friends, invited them to dinner in honor of the Chinese New Year. In return, their family invited their neighbors and friends to their annual Diwali celebration. Premila was so grateful that her children had the opportunity to be exposed to many cultures that she was never given as a child.

The United States of America is known as the “land of opportunity” for a reason; the single most important aspect of immigration is that it gives people the chance to create a better life for themselves and their descendants. Anyone can get an education and put in a lot of hard work to reach success. The American Dream is a concept that pushes citizens and immigrants alike to keep fighting, to have hope despite obstacles like unemployment, hunger, and poverty. Making a better life is not easy, but in the U.S. it is possible. People from poor towns and villages everywhere have used any means possible to come to the United States for education and employment, and they continue to come today. When they are greeted by the Statue of Liberty, saying “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,” they are filled with renewed determination after the long and arduous journey. While not all of these immigrants are successful in creating a better life, many are, and their efforts affect generations to come.

When the United States declared its independence in 1776, two of the founding principles were liberty and tolerance. This means that all people are accepted as they contribute something, whether big or small, to the culture of the U.S.

In the words of President Barack Obama, “No other nation constantly renews itself, refreshes itself, with the hopes, and the drive, and the optimism, and the dynamism of each new generation of immigrants.” Immigration is a necessity, a huge economic boost for the United States, and a core ideal of this country we call home.