Conflict Resolution; Pacifism or Combat? | Teen Ink

Conflict Resolution; Pacifism or Combat?

By Bookworm.3.14159 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Bookworm.3.14159 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." ~Plato

When was the last time you made a decision based on your favoring of peace or violence? Were told one is better than the other? To behave in one of the manners? It is proven that there are strengths, limitations, and reasonings for each belief. Pacifism prevents catastrophes while combat advances technology.

Pacifism prevents the lamentation of death, and despair of destruction. The word 'pacifism' is derived from Greek and Latin roots meaning 'peace' and 'to make'. (Fiala, Andrew.) The Peace Pledge Union, an organization supporting pacifism states, "The causes of human conflict are too subtle and complex to be dealt with by brute force, which is no more than a crude short-term response that sets up a load of long-term trouble."  ("Peace Pledge Union"). Along with the prevention of gory and gruesome daunting of a forced death from war is the lack of destruction. Cities and towns, homes and civilizations may stay intact. By avoiding combat, the earth and its inhabitants aren't put through toxic dust which creates respiratory disorders from metals such as arsenic and lead. In addition, warfare uses millions of barrels of oil for machinery, causing significant air pollution. The earth's soil can be polluted as well, due to hundreds of tons of missiles containing uranium, a radioactive element, as well as toxic rocket propellants. Forests, wetlands and marshes are being destroyed by the forces of war, and wildlife cannot always remain in such places. ("Environmental Costs"). Pacifism as a lifestyle is like a child's mindset of serenity. Communicating to solve conflict can provide a more peaceful community while war can evolve technology.

Combat provides key advancements in devices which further society. Jonathan Strickland, senior writer for electronics, computer channels, and 'How Stuff Works', explains that, "In general, wars tend to accelerate technological developments to adapt tools for the purpose of solving specific military needs...[can later] evolve into non-military devices." (Strickland, Jonathan.)  Indispensable inventions such as the EpiPen or just coveted items such as the GPS, cargo pants, duct tape, computers, and microwaves were created for war but were adapted for civilian lifestyles. Similar to the EpiPen, was a tool that protected soldiers from chemical weapons in war. It became used for allergic reactions later on. Global Positioning Satellites (GPS) were set up by the U.S. Department of Defense and were available for public use nearly five years later. WWII helped an American scientist accidentally realize that radar transmitters emitted enough 'microwaves' or heat to cook food. Two years later the first microwave oven was created. Without these devices invented from combat, it could've taken extensive amounts of time to design them otherwise. Without these creations, people could have died a horrendous death from an allergic reaction that wasn't stopped in time (no EpiPens) or traveled astray from the destination they need to reach (lack of GPS used aside of war). ("9 Things Invented"). Combat is like an alarm clock, going off to wake people up to the innovations of the day. Each claim of the argument has positive and negative aspects and it is helpful to explore both.

Strengths to the pacifism claim include, soldiers wouldn't have to suffer after being shot, bombed, or exposed to chemicals. Pacifism allows families to stay intact while not being subjected to stress and grief over the safety of their loved ones. Limitations to the pacifism argument could be settling for less than the desired outcome. Negotiations as well as compromised solutions can be a result of a discussion over conflict.

Strengths to the argument for combat would be the inventions that are created. War can require new products which prompt research and development toward mechanisms to solve issues. This research might not have taken place otherwise and can help further new investigations and products. Limitations to war are the deaths, sorrow, and violence. Nearly 5.4 million people died from 1955 to 2002, causing mournful mentalities. (Reporter). Violence and weapons destroy cities across the world, a stressful event to overcome.

To conclude, the reasonings of both pacifism and combat lead to a decision that is constantly made. Whether that be to resolve problems in a nonviolent and tranquil matter or causing technological inventions to burgeon, being able to weigh the benefits and disadvantages of each can help make a more informed decision for conflict resolution. Pacifism may lack a clear and indisputable outcome while war causes calamity and distress. Once again, when you are faced with a problem, choose your solution logically.

Works Cited
"12 Technological Advancements of World War I." Mental Floss. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
"9 Things Invented For Military Use That You Now Encounter In Everyday Life." Mental Floss. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015.
BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2015.
"Environmental Costs | Costs of War." Environmental Costs | Costs of War. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2015.
Fiala, Andrew. "Pacifism." Stanford University. Stanford University, 06 July 2006. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
"Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy." Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
JSTOR. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
"Morality of War: Economic Benefits of War." Morality of War: Economic Benefits of War. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
"Pacifism | Political Philosophy." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
"Peace Pledge Union." Peace Pledge Union. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Apr. 2015.
"PRINCIPLES OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION." PRINCIPLES OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
Reporter, By Steven Reinberghealthday. "Worldwide War Deaths Underestimated." ABC News. ABC News Network, 21 June 2015. Web. 13 Apr. 2015.
Strickland, Jonathan. HowStuffWorks. HowStuffWorks.com, n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2015.

Dameon_Farris PLATINUM, Folton, District Of Columbia

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree. It will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Eistiene

by the way your articul is mind blowing

i was told to go online and read an articul about resoution and peace and find out how to resolve it or something like that and i read your article and it helped a lot and thank you a whole bunch you helped a lot XD