Racism in the Criminal Justice System | Teen Ink

Racism in the Criminal Justice System

February 25, 2015
By Anonymous

The biggest crime in the U.S. criminal justice system is that it is a race based institution where people are targeted and punished due to race. Racism in the criminal justice system is wrong and still exists to this day and justice needs to be served. U.S. criminal justice system is racist and needs to be shown to the world, because it changes so many lives and needs to be fair. People in the criminal justice system should not be able to judge and prosecute differently based on race that shouldn't be a factor.


Many race based charges are made everyday at a higher rate against people other than white people. Studies show that 85% of stops were on blacks and latinos and only 8% whites, which in comparison is crazy to think that people in the justice system are more suspicious of colored people than whites. White people and black people engage in drug offenses at comparable rates but the black people tend to face longer sentences than white people involved in drugs. The U.S. sentencing commission reported that in 2011 that non-white people received a 10 times longer sentence for the same crime. There is no way that this can continue this is plain racist and unexplainable people can not be treated differently for being a different race we are all people especially for criminals it could be the difference between life and death.


Once arrested non-whites are more likely to remain in prison awaiting trial than whites. In New York studies show that black people are 33% more likely to be detained awaiting felony than whites facing felony trials. This is unfair white people are not any better than the rest of us and should not be treated like royalty and people are not to be judged by the color of their skin even in the criminal justice system it is just disgusting to think about that people in the criminal justice system don't treat everyone the same. Also how they are treated like criminals even before their court day is crazy to think about no way things can continue as they are now. Even after jail the non-white people find it harder than their former white inmates to find jobs to support their families. A study at the University Of Wisconsin found that 27% of white job applicants with criminal records received a call back, while black job applicants received a call back 5% of the time. This stat shows that people really are thought of differently which isn't just and doesn't do justice to the non-white people in the United States.


Non-whites are frequently illegally excluded from the criminal jury service according to a June 2013 study, especially for serving on death penalty cases 8/10 times they are removed. Which means the people of the jury tend to be more towards a white point of view depending on the case. This shows that criminal justice system does not want non-whites in their jury which means there is no diversity so the jury will lean more towards one side then another easier. For example in the Ferguson case the jury was mainly white and believed more toward the officer, showing racism in the justice system was involved in the overall decision and thats why there were riots justice needs to be served to many people around the world. Although racism obviously exists in the criminal justice system there are still people who don't believe it is in the criminal justice system.


Opposing views claim that people that are non-whites tend to commit less crime than people of other races and are more respectful in court than others, so they do less time. Some of these claims may be somewhat valid, but nevertheless if you commit the same crime you should do the same time not 10 times longer because of your race. Also you can only do so much if your non-white in a case with a white jury and the racism that still exists shown clearly in my examples its like non-whites are treated like people that aren't even humans how different it is its crazy.Therefore showing racism in the criminal justice system must be stopped for the sake of justice as a whole.


The criminal justice system from start to finish is clearly racist. People need to stop being targeted and punished due to their race its unfair and just can't be in our society as a whole especially where lives are on the line in the criminal justice system. We need to do something to stop racism that could ultimately impact the life of someone unfairly lets try and change the way of racism in the criminal justice system one step at a time by showing something they need to notice and change to make fair for everybody no matter race or anything.