Do You Fear Death? | Teen Ink

Do You Fear Death?

By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

We accept the love we think we deserve.

Do you fear death? If so, then why? Why should you? Why shouldn’t you? Personally, I fear death. I think it’s a natural human emotion to be scared of the idea of...well, dying. Where do we go after we die? What happens to us? What happens to our loved ones? Will they be okay without us?

I don’t fear death because I know where I’m going. I’m a Christian, and a poor one at that, but I still know God loves me and when I die, I’m going up to be with him. I’m just going to say this honestly, the world kind of sucks sometimes. People can hurt you and hurt you until you feel like you can’t take anymore. I believe that you were given this life because you’re strong enough to live it.

I still have doubts, like any other Christian would. I know I don’t have it all together. I make mistakes, I sin, I know that I’m no better than anyone else. I also know that up in Heaven, my dad is looking down on me and is proud of the person that I’ve become. I live to please him and if anyone has a problem with it, then take it up with God and not me. I wasn’t put on this Earth to please everyone else. I don’t live for myself, I live for God.

I guess I fear death a little bit if I’m being honest with myself. Though I strongly believe in Christ, what happens if I’m wrong? What happens if after we die, there’s nothing? What if when we die, we just...die. What if we disappear, ceasing to exist? That’s an option, but it’s not one I believe in with all my heart. I wouldn’t call myself agnostic. I know that Jesus died on the cross for me and when someone hurts me, he’s holding out his arms and welcoming me to cry on his shoulder.

Have you ever had a boyfriend, girlfriend, or a best friend that was just always there for you? If you had a bad day, they would let you cry it out and talk about it with them? That’s what God is like. Although I can’t physically hear his voice answering mine, I know he’s there. He’s there for me even when no one else is. I love my dad and my dad loves me, that’s the way God planned it to be.