The Winner that lost | Teen Ink

The Winner that lost

By hipstcalista BRONZE, Litchfield, Arizona
hipstcalista BRONZE, Litchfield, Arizona

“Girls half mile,” the announced exclaimed, as a drip of sweat rolled down my forehead, “You’re up at the start!”

I stepped before the white starting line, and clenched my clammy palms. On the coral peach track, I peered to face my competition. All of which owned the same look of wide eyes and lowered brows. The intensity traveled through my body, and tingled my fingertips. Then, the count interrupted my thoughts of doubts.

“On your mark, get set, GO!” the announcer erupted through the speakers.

My body rushed with speed, in alarm, and my eyes captured the sight of the herd of girls. I was caught in the midst of them all. Next, that alarm traveled to my legs because they zoomed through the crowded runners. One by one, I passed the others. The yelling and cheering of the crowd encouraged me. The thoughts of this overwhelming high school scenery fled my mind. I even ignored the cottony taste of warm air, in my mouth. I was in first place, and I was on top of the world. The butterflies in my stomach just flew away.

As I inched towards the finish line, still in first place, my body began to give out. My mind worked quicker than that of my body.

I was on lap two, of two. Then, fatigue took charge. My knees trembled with overexertation. My muscles grew tense, and my mind followed my body. I began to notice the Arizona desert weather. My dehydration elongated. I even recognized that the cheers for me transformed into cheers for others.

One by one, I could feel the warm breeze of passing girls on my weak sides. My energy, from my mind and body, died. Everything was on the line, and I blew it. District finals were only six girls away. I allowed six runners to pass me, and 7th place made me sick to my stomach. I felt like throwing up. Not only because of the intense racing, but because my placement was despicable.

As I reached the finish line once again, I was not grinning; nor keeping my head help high. This time, I faced the apricot colored track, breathed deeply, and sighed. I kicked rocks as I headed to the bleachers, and faced the fact. -I let myself down.

Emotion: Although there are minor points, (such as nervousness, then joy) the main feeling was that of regret and disappointment. The overall tone was going from ecstatic to infuriated/regretful .

Lesson: Don’t let your thoughts get the best of you. Just because you’re winning, it doesn’t make you better. You’re winning, but you didn’t win. Keep your modesty, and celebrate when you’re FINALLY accomplished, not in the process.

All underlined areas indicate the current emotion.