Same-Sex Marriages | Teen Ink

Same-Sex Marriages

By MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska
MillieKae GOLD, McCook, Nebraska

"I step into the great unknown, the ball and chain I call my own."
-Sublime "Ball and Chain"

Whether you are for it, or against it, you can’t deny that same-sex marriages are an issue in America. America is a pretty much the utmost origin of controversial issues, which would explain why we have such a problem with same-sex marriage. It seems that everyone in America, and everywhere else in the world, has an opinion, the only difference is that we are open about it and speak our mind.
Same-sex marriage is illegal in 41 of the 50 states in the United States. Reasons vary from it’s wrong, it’s against the bible, and just homophobia in general. Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and Washington have all made it legal to get married in their state if you are the same gender. (Washington D.C. has also legalized it) How come it is so hard for the rest of the states to realize it isn't wrong?
The definition of marriage is the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by the law. In this definition, it actually states the two people getting married must be “opposite sex” and not same-sex partners. Though, as things have started to heat up about this topic, they have added an alternative definition to marriage. It isn't JUST called marriage though. They have to say same-sex marriage in parentheses. Same-sex marriage is the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage. Of course, with this definition, it has to put in that it is a relationship “like that of a traditional marriage.” Why can’t same-sex marriages become one of the traditional marriages?
One of the main reasons people bash same-sex marriage is because it is “against the bible.” In the English Standard Version of the bible, Leviticus 18:22 states, “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.” This does say that same-sex marriage is an abomination. But the bible isn't meant to be taken literally.
Same-sex marriage isn't going to do anything to the rest of us. All it will do is make same-sex couples happy. What is the worse thing that could happen? You have to see two women, or two men, kiss in public? Things like that already happen in public, whether we like it or not. Letting them get married wouldn't change whether they kissed in public or not.
Same-sex marriages isn't going ruin the whole message of marriage, like divorce, and it certainly not going to be the downfall of the United States. We need to accept that not everyone is straight, some people are homosexual. The sooner that we realize we are not all alike, the sooner we will realize making same-sex marriages legal is better than banning it altogether. Lets make people happy.

I am very much for Same-Sex marriages. Though I'm not religious, I do have an opinion on all of it. ~Pro Same-Sex Marriage All the Way!~