One Is | Teen Ink

One Is

By changerswriter GOLD, Rancho Mirage, California
changerswriter GOLD, Rancho Mirage, California

I don’t believe… I don’t. Stop pushing me to. They say it’s bad. They wonder and worry for me, though they don’t have to. There’s nothing wrong with me, I think. Nothing. So what, if I don’t believe in God? I know almost everyone does, but why do you, my own parent, have to seem disapproving? It’s not my fault. I can’t help it if everyone I know has a different religion. Each pushing a different set of rules onto me. One believes in the “rocks” as he calls it, or, to you, Mother Nature. One believes in the Jewish religion. One is Protestant. One is Presbyterian. One is Atheist. One is Christian. One is Episcopalian. One is… One is…

But that’s just my problem. What am I? What “one is” am I? Do I follow a strict set of religion, or do I follow an easygoing one? Do I follow one that I choose? Do I make up my own God? Do I believe in one set up by society with certain rules I must abide by, limiting my freedom? Why must I not cuss, if I believe in a Christian God? Why not believe in the Buddha? Or Allah? Or the Energy of the Universe, for that matter? What about Wicca? Would it not be cool to be able to perform spells? Do I want to have no God in my life, therefore letting me act how I choose? Letting me have a freedom of my own making. Who says I have to have a God leaning over me, telling me to be good, or else? Why should I not be trusted to act accordingly on my own? And I remember that time I lied to you, saying, that I was getting a God back into my life. I was trying, and isn’t that the same thing?

What about Norse Gods? What about Greek Gods? What about Evolution? My head spins with all these questions, but most of all, how can I believe in a God when there are so many different ones to choose from? And what if you choose the wrong one, and it ends up costing you in the afterlife? Who are you to say what I should be? You don’t know anything about me, any of these thoughts. I know one of my best friends who is highly religious would promptly drop me if she knew any of these thoughts in my head. And one question goes on in my head again… One is… One is…?

Please don't judge me without reading all of this article first. That's why I'm writing this; to try and sort this all out.

Obi-Wan said...
on Mar. 11 2012 at 12:27 am

It's a well-written article.

These are good questions and have been asked by young people - and by people, not so young - for thousands of years.

Having spent over 50 years on this planet, I have observed some things, still learning.

One thing I have seen to be true:

There are people who follow a set of rules (whatever they may be). They may have gotten those rules from a book of social science, a book of religion, from their family, or from theocracy school.

Then, there are people who follow no rules, just "wing it" all their lives.

Of the three different types of people, the ones who always LIVE BY their rules (whatever those rules may be) seem to overcome any difficulties that cross their path - no matter what. 

They still get angry, they still get speeding tickets, maybe they have poor taste in style - but, when difficulty in life occurs, they handle it better than anyone.

Not only that, those people who follow their own rules make the best friends and relatives - and if you're in some kind of trouble, those are the people you want on YOUR side.

The people you don't want on your side, are from the third category, the ones who SAY they live by their set of rules, and constantly break their own rules. It turns out, that those people aren't even a friend to themselves, let alone anyone else.

Choose your rules, THAT is who you are. YOU make the rules - and you will be doing well if you always live by your own set of rules. It gives a person the power of self determination and strongly-instilled values.

People respect that, no matter what religion they might be.

They too, have chosen their belief system - although the rules may be a little or somewhat different, they are on a similar path.

My favorite rule: Knowledge is the solution to all problems. 

It was a pleasure to read your article, changerswriter.