The Perfect Guy... | Teen Ink

The Perfect Guy...

January 10, 2011
By Joanna.S SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Joanna.S SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

There he was.

He looked as flawless as ever.

His brown hair perfectly in place; his green eyes greener than the grass, it was painful to know that he’ll never be mine.

I might as well just quit trying now, I told myself. Of course I wasn’t going to get him; of course he wouldn’t notice me.

But then, just as I was doubtful, he gazed up at me from across the lunch room and smiled.

I panicked.

Did he just catch me looking at him? I can’t believe it.

“Did you see that?” Emily said to me, excitement clearly displayed in her eyes.

I was speechless; I nodded her way, just for an acknowledgement. I knew she couldn’t believe what I was seeing, either.

I dreaded it, but I looked away. I just had to. Did he think I was crazy? I couldn’t stop looking at him.

Snap out of it! I told myself. He’ll never be yours. Be an independent woman and look away!

But then, beyond my belief, I saw him get up. He got up and started walking toward me.

More panic flowed through me.

“Emily!” I whispered hastily through my teeth,

“Do I look okay?!”

She looked at me surprised, “Wh— oh, Hi Ross”

I looked up, blushing, could he see it? I didn’t care.

I managed to choke out “Hi Ross”

“Hey, Joanna” he smiled at me.
“Emily”, he nodded towards Emily.

Emily started to get up “I’ll… leave you two alone.”

She shot me an apologetic glance and walked off to sit at another table.

“So,” Ross began, as he sat down across from me and twiddled his thumbs on the table,

“I happened to notice you looking at me for the past couple of days…” he trailed off, smiling

I couldn’t believe it. Did he really come over here just to tell me that? How embarrassing!

He watched, amused, as my face turned from panicked, to embarrassed, to angry until I was able to control my facial expression.

“Er, Ross,” I started to say, but I didn’t know how to finish.

“Is that the only reason you came over here?”

He smiled, clearly amused that I was only able to choke out those words.

“Actually, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I have been looking at you, too” still smiling, he waited for me to answer.

Once again, as pathetic as I was, I only managed to say “Er, really?”

He sighed, “Yes, I have.”

He paused, waiting for me to answer, I didn’t notice, I was too lost in his magnificent green eyes.

He continued, figuring that I wouldn’t reply, “Joanna, what I’m saying is, I like you. I like you a lot, and I want to try things out. So, what do you say? Would you like to go on a date with me Saturday night?

By then, I could’ve jumped up and down; I could’ve gotten a megaphone and announced to the world that Ross Smith, the cutest guy in school just asked me on a date. Was I dreaming? I tried to pinch myself just in case. I was still awake. Yes! I thought to myself, this isn’t a dream! Now answer before he has second thoughts!

“Er, Joanna? I can take a no if that’s what you’re trying to say…” his face looked forlorn.

“Ross! Of course! Of course I’ll go on a date with you on Saturday. It would be great, actually.”

“Great!” he said, smiling triumphantly, “I’ll text you with the details.”

He pulled out a small piece of paper from his pocket and wrote down his number. He tore another piece off, motioning me to write down my number. Was this really happening?!
I wrote down my number with shaky hands. I watched him take my number and leave his directly in front of me. It read: “555.8578—I can’t wait until Saturday, beautiful”