Wrong vs Right | Teen Ink

Wrong vs Right

By RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California
RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California

The way I see it, “right” protects and supports people. They leave a person, group, or the world better, even in the smallest of ways. In the end, the right thing to do is what has the best outcome as a result of the choices. For example, protecting the environment is extremely important because while some may argue it will raise costs and hurt the economy, in the long run the keeping of the environment protected is the better decision. This is because by keeping the environment and its species safe, we are really supporting the thing that gives and sustains life -- Earth, and in the end that matters more than the economy and high prices.

Something is morally right when one feels good about himself/herself. In contrast, “wrong” gives the feeling of guilt. Wrong hurts and damages people, takes away their rights, possessions, and leaves them in a worse situation and makes people less happy. It makes a person, larger group, or the world a worse place. The definition of worse is when someone or something is left with less support, is less healthy, and/or the world is less sustainable. For example, wrong is portrayed if America just used its money to support only the people of America, instead of helping other countries. By not helping other countries, we are making a worse world for ourselves in the long run because it is important to have a supportive relationship worldwide.

While trying to walk the line of what is right, there will be mistakes. As I grow older, my view of what is right and wrong may change from other influencers. However, for now when I try to do what is right I evaluate the situations I am faced with by using my moral conscience and what will in the end, make every person, community, and world a better place.